01

The room was filled with the sound of pants and cries. There were pearls of sweat emphasizing  his tattered breath. With much force he pushed himself to move and finally he opened his eyes.

Another Nightmare!

Xiao Zhan woke up to the sound of his phone. He got up and placed the phone to his right ear.

"A-Xian! Did I wake you up?"

"No, I was already awake." Xiao Zhan said swallowing his yawns.

"A-Xian,  A-Cheng is finally coming back this weekend and Father was wondering if you could come as well?"

Xiao Zhan gripped on his phone after hearing his brother's name. How could he face him?

"..Sorry Shijie, I have to work extra hours this weekend. I don't think I can make it." Xiao Zhan lied to his sister. He was once a person who would never lie but he rather not face his brother.

"Its Alright. I know A-Xian is working hard. I'll call you again. Take care!"

After the call ended, Xiao Zhan felt extremely terrible. She had always supported him when nobody else did.

He was too young when he was adopted by his uncle Lu Jian Min. And it was always his sister, Xuan Lu who took care of him. she was more like a mother than a sister.
And he felt hideous, lying to her. What's one more lie to a million?

With heavy steps Xiao Zhan got up from bed and went to take a bath. He lived alone and his apartment was a mess like his emotions.

Xiao Zhan stood under the cold shower as the water trickled down his senseless body. He had wished  that he could drain away all of his thoughts like the water and wash away all the scars. If things only worked like that.

After changing clothes, he opened his empty fridge and took the only bottle of water from it.
He gulped it in one go, bringing pain to his gullet but he didn't care.

At 9 he left for his work. Even in the crowded station filled with rustle and bustle of life, he heard no sound. His ears had been long deaf and his heart had been long dead.

Xiao Zhan reached his office and settled on his desk. It was a day just like any other. He worked till his fingers were aching and his eyes were sore. He would take extra hours purposely hoping he could escape -- escape his own self but he was only left with nothing more than the grinding work.

When the Sun was ready to meet the Earth, Xiao Zhan was done with his work.
He reported to the head  and went back to his mundane life.

While waiting for the bus on the station, his deaf ears were forced to listen.

"Zhan gege!!!"

"Zhan gege!!" It was a man,  4 years younger, running towards him.
Xiao Zhan recognized him right away. It was his only friend in this lonely city.

"Yubin. You got off work early today?"  His older sister Meng Ziyi and Xiao Zhan's sister Xuan Lu were in the same year back in the school. They were inseparable once and through them Xiao Zhan got to know Paul Yubin. 

"Zhan gege! You look terrible.  Are you eating properly?" Yubin said as he pulled him away from the queue.

Xiao Zhan just gave him a dry laugh. Yubin took out his phone and called his older sister.

uh oh!

Xiao Zhan knew what it meant, he wanted to run away but his body didn't have enough energy to do so. He stood there, for death to arrive and it did.

"Oh My God! How many times do I have to tell you to eat properly? Do you have a death wish? If so I can kill you myself!"  and it continued on for about half an hour.