Chapter 1: The Debt

Começar do início

"What do you want?" she asked, glaring up at him, but there was a hint of concern behind her bravado. Suddenly he felt like an oaf. Growing up in Gor she met some of the worst scum daily, who probably would want a lot more than a thanks from her. It was no wonder that she was trying to get away from him as quickly as possible. He released her arm but was pleasantly surprised to find that she didn't immediately run away.

"I don't know," he replied, scratching his neck. "A thank you would be nice."

She scoffed. "I was doing fine before you came along! I can take care of myself."

"Right," he muttered. "Maybe I should wake those chumps back up and let them have another go at robbing you?"

"I'd rather you didn't, but if you did I'd handle it." She raised her chin defiantly, and Ereptus had to admire her gumption even if she was a fool. Glancing down at the two bodies, she shuddered slightly. Maybe she wasn't as foolish as she made herself sound. Looking back up at him, she frowned. "Why did you save me?"

"Damned if I know."

The sound of feet pounding against the compacted dirt of the alleyway made them both jump, and Ereptus quickly drew his dagger and turned to face whoever was running towards them. With his free hand, he grabbed the girl's arm again, pulling her behind him. Fully expecting it to be a companion of the two men on the ground, it surprised him to see that it was the old friend who had summoned him, Gaylen.

"Rain!" the older man panted. "Are you all right?"

"I will be as soon as this brute lets go of me," the girl snapped, pulling loose of Ereptus' grip and quickly dashing over to the older man.

As he watched the two of them have a hushed conversation a feeling of foreboding stole over Ereptus. Damn, he hoped he was wrong. Even though he couldn't hear them, it was obvious Gaylen was telling her off. Probably for being out alone this close to nightfall. The city wasn't safe for anyone after the dark settled, it was barely safe during the day.

"Gaylen?" Ereptus interrupted their whispering and the older man finally inspected him. His eyes widened.

"Ereptus! Mate! I hardly recognised you. The last time I saw you, you were still a gangly brat!" He walked up and slapped him on the back. "It's good to see you, old friend."

Unable to say the same, Ereptus grunted. Being back in Gor made him uncomfortable and he couldn't wait to leave again. He may have spent most of his life there, but it hadn't been a good life. Gaylen had once saved his life by taking him in after he'd been badly injured in a fight and nursed him back to health. After that he had stayed with the older man for a while, helping any way he could, usually by stealing food or money.

Nodding towards the girl he said gruffly, "I see you've taken in a new brat."

Gaylen squirmed a little, raking a hand through his unkempt greying hair. "Ah yes. That's what I was hoping to talk to you about."

"I was afraid you'd say that," Ereptus muttered.

With a grimace, Gaylen gestured for him to follow. "Come. Let's talk more at my house."

"