Chapter One

• Dedicated to Maddie Ziegler and Chloe Lukasiak

Maddie POV:

“You girls are absolutely forbidden to ever see or talk to Chloe ever again!” Abby’s booming voice echoed through the studio after the final blowout causing Christi and Chloe to leave ALDC for good. Though I’d seen Miss Abby steamed many times in my life, this was definitely the worst. “Don’t like her pictures on Instagram or follow her on Twitter. Don't text her! Don't contact her at all! No Chloe ever again! Do you girls understand?” Frightened, we all nodded in unison. After a struggling relationship throughout the past year or so, my lifelong friendship with Chloe had officially come to a close.

**FOUR YEARS LATER**

Chloe POV:

“Please welcome to the stage number thirty-seven, Maddie!” The announcer spoke as I stood in the wings waiting for my solo, followed by a plethora of cheering and screaming by the audience. Onstage, my former teammate appeared. She looked gorgeous in her pink flowy costume. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I hadn’t seen her in years. She was all grown up now and exceptionally beautiful. Her facial expressions were still spot on as she danced, but something was missing. She was going through all the motions, performing a sequence of flawless turns but something had changed about her since she was twelve. I couldn’t quite put my finger on what it was.

After she finished and the applause started, she exited stage right. Focused on where she was going, she walked right past me. Though we hadn’t spoken in over four years, something inside me got bold and I called out,

“Maddie!” She turned around, confused for a second as to who had called her and then she noticed me. Her eyes widened as if she’d just seen a grizzly bear.

“Chloe!” She exclaimed and ran up to hug me, catching me off guard a little. I wasn’t sure how she would react, but this surprised me. I figured Abby had told her she was never allowed to speak to me again. “Oh my gosh! How are you?” I grinned timidly.

“I’m great. How are you?” She shrugged indifferently.

“I’m okay…just ready to get the day over with. Are you competing a solo?” I nodded. She looked down at my yellow costume, one that reminded me of the time when we’d done the same solo.

“I’m up next!”

“I can’t wait to watch you dance! Hey, give me your phone number! We can catch up sometime!” I started reciting my number to her and she scribbled it down on her arm with a pen she’d found backstage.

“I’d love that…but Miss Abby won’t get mad? I don’t want to get you in trouble.” She shrugged and chuckled sarcastically.

“Psh. Who cares what Miss Abby thinks?” Maddie had definitely changed a lot since age twelve. Last time I saw her she’d worshipped the ground Abby walked on and now things obviously had changed.

“Let’s welcome to the stage, Miss Chloe!” The announcer announced.

“Good luck!” Maddie wished, kissing me on the cheek like she used to do before every performance.

“Thanks.” I whispered, then took my place on the stage.

After all the dancing was done for the day, it was time for the award ceremony. Just like old times, I came second place to Maddie. I was happy for her because she danced beautifully and deserved it. Some things never did change. Seeing her again was great though, even if she beat me. Hopefully we could reform a friendship one day.