Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“What do you want Victoria?” asked Jackson, sternly.

“Why did you lie?” I stared at Jackson, “Why did you lie about who you are?”

“You don’t get how horrible this place is. You are pretty much perfect. I struggle every day, trying to figure out who I am. I lie because my parents would rather have a fighter in the house – an illegal street fighter. A criminal. Than someone who enjoys watching ponies or a black dude who likes poetry and- and listening to Katy Perry.”

“Why did you join the RATs anyways?”

“Because they are family.”

“Family, huh?"

I left soon after. Family. What was it like to have a family?

I reviewed what had been taped in the RATs classroom during lunch. Everyone was gathering around - laughing and chatting to one another. Even Mason looks like he is having fun. I couldn't take away their family from them. Even though I barely knew them, I didn't want to. I wanted to save them even if that means turning my back on Victoria Martin. 

I spent every night for the past week trying to research about the school and the companies linked with them. The school was even more corrupt than the government but I could easily use this to my advantage. In my mind, the master plan was slowly forming.

However, because of my late nights working at my job and for Victoria, I felt like a zombie in school.

"Hey, Victoria. You okay?" Jace asked, handing me coffee with lots of sugar. Hey I have a sweet tooth. 

"Thanks. I need this." I quickly took a gulp.

"It's hot." Jace warned me, a bit too late. 

"Thanks." I tried to say with my mouth full of burning hot coffee. I quickly opened up my coffee cup and spitting out the hot liquid.

"Gross." Jace nudged me. A little too hard.

Coffee spilled all over my shirt and the glistering white floor.

"Seriously?" I yelled as the coffee penetrated through my shirt and onto the skin. I know. Not a good enough sentence to use the word 'penetrate.'

"Sorry." Jace burst into laugher. "Hey, at least you're awake."

I couldn't control my poker face anymore and laughed along with him. Spilling more coffee onto my hand and the floor.

"This is a much better wake up call than coffee." I added, leaning towards Jace.

"You're spilling coffee." Mason said with a straight face. Of course, Mason just has to walk in at this moment.

Awkward silence swept through. Normally, I'm all for silences. The calm, peaceful silence. But this felt heavy, and obviously awkward.

"I'll go wash up." I quietly said. Leaving Jace and Mason alone in the common room.

After washing up, I bumped into Jackson.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey." He replied back. Ten points for me for the most awkward greeting,

"Um..." Jackson finally spoke after a long period of just standing near the girl's bathroom.

I didn't want to speak in case we got to the stage where we both speak at the same time then having more awkward hand gestures and random noises coming out trying to indicate the other party to speak first.

"You aren't going to tell anyone right?" He finally asked.

"No." I smiled. Pleased to see some smile on Jackson's face.

"Does the rest of the RATs know?" I asked.

"Some might not. Some probably do. I'm guessing you didn't figure it out yourself, huh." He pointed out.

"No." After observing Jackson's facial expressions from happiness after confronting me, trust when speaking about the RATs. I knew that I wanted him to be on my team. 

"I have to tell you something.”