Chapter 10

AN: Changed the previous chapter to 9b, so this is chapter 10. I felt so bad about leaving such a short chapter so I tried to make this one longer. Enjoy :)

Chapter 10

Today was the day I finally got to meet my father. My pretend father? The father who is pretending to be my father but doesn't know he is pretending. The father who...

Urgh, I'll just say it.

Victoria's father.

He was nice. I guess.

He was very intimidating. His name was Mark, and yes he asked his own daughter to call him by his first name. 

When I first entered Eleven Madison Park, one of the best restaurants in the world, I knew I didn't fit in here. Physically I did, but mentally, I don't think so. I didn't care about good food, all I cared about whether  I had any food. And this place certainly did not look like they offered large portions. 

"Table for one?" asked the lady at the front, eyeing my dress. 

"I'm with Mark Martin." I said, giving a half smile. 

"My apologies, you must be Victoria Martin. Right this way." Her short bob bounced as she walked like there were springs attached to the roots of her hair. Her hips swayed like a model, making me feel insecure about my shrugged walk.

I followed her all the way to the other side of this restaurant, and sat down while they poured me a glass of wine. 

 “Is there anything else you would like?” asked the waiter.

“No thanks. We will just start our 16-course, right away.” Replied Mark.

16-course?

No wonder they gave out small portions.

“How does it feel to return to school?” He asked while glancing at his phone.

“Good.” I nodded and picked up my glass to take a drink. I had no idea what to say to him. I was scared that he would detect that something is wrong but so far, he seemed okay.

He put down his phone and glanced at me for a second before returning to his LCD screen.

“Heard you were put in RATs.” His thumb scrolled up.

The first dish arrived, giving me time to put my thoughts into place.

“Cheddar and apple.” The waited informed us.

It was a cookie? Do I eat this with a fork or with my hands?

I observed how Mark ate it and followed suit.

“Yes I... I was put in the RATs program.” I bit into my cookie, it was pretty good. It wasn’t too hard to bite, but wasn’t too soft that it fell into pieces.

Mark gave me a slight nod.

Did that mean it was okay? Or was he disappointed in me?

Curiosity got the better of me and decided to ask a very non - Victoria like question.

"What are you thinking?"

Based on my observations, Victoria was centred around herself - trying to make her seem like a good girl. From what my two pals mentioned, back in preschool, she did what she told to. Without hesitation. No questions asked.

Like I predicted, Mark was shocked at my questions. So much he put his phone down and gave me his attention.

That was not what I expected. 

Okay okay, it doesn't sound that bad but imagine just meeting a guy for the first time and all they did was just play on their phone.  Until one moment where you say something so important, they look up.

My question felt that important.

"Why do you want to know?"

"I um... I ..." I mumbled, unable to think.  Why is it that every time something important happens like exams, your brain turns to mush!

He raised his eyebrows, waiting for my answer.

I stopped trying to think like Victoria and just decided to un-filter my thoughts.

"Fine. I'll tell you why I wanted... want to know what you are thinking.  Okay, first of all, you are my dad. I want to know whether you are proud of me or or disappointed or angry. Um... second of all,  I actually don't think I have a second thought.  Let me think.

Actually I think that's it.  Enough said right?"

Was I actually thinking about it like that or was I just venting out about my own dad?

My dad whom left without an explanation except an I love you but I have to go. All I wanted to know was what the hell was he thinking. 

Actually all I wanted to know was what everyone was thinking under their pretend outer face. Sometimes I wish I was Edward from Twilight. Minus the glittering and the blood sucking.

"I know RATs isn't something to be proud of but seriously, this silence is killing me. What do you want from me? What is on your mind?"

I looked up I time to see Mark's face thin lips turn into a smile. Just a small one. But enough for me.

He rested his head against his palm and said,

"Maybe, RATs was a good thing.  You stood up to me for the first time. Look Vic, I don't really care about your school life because whatever happens you will either have my company, marry a rich guy or live off my money."

I frowned slightly.  Wasn't sure if I was offended or not.

"Anyway, point being, you always did what you were told - no questions asked. That annoyed me. RATs made you fearless and that's good enough for me. Proud of you." He said sincerely.

"I didn't get to where I am now by obeying,  I got to where I am by knowing what I want and taking it. Victoria Martin. I'm proud to call you my daughter and you can call me dad."

Holy shi-ttles.  What did I just do?  

Was I okay at calling my friend’s dad, dad? Hell no.

But she wasn’t my friend, just some business partner. But was I okay at calling someone else a dad when I had a dad living in Melbourne?

I wasn’t too sure.

It was nice to be able to have a father figure in my life but Mark didn’t know me from Adam. It felt wrong in a way.

But this was the plan right? To be Mark’s daughter, Victoria.

“Thanks, Mr-“ I bit my lip and started talking again, “Thanks. Dad.”