021. red.

I know that you're hiding.

 ❜

"I DON'T KNOW about this, Kayama," I said, trying on the dress in front of a video call. Midnight was on the other side, applying lashes and makeup. She insisted we had a video chat so she could 'assist me'.

She stopped doing her makeup and her mouth dropped open. "My sexy little sidekick indeed. Doctor, I didn't know you could pull this out!"

Kayama snapped shut her compact, crossing her arms on her vanity. She was wearing a low cut black dress. It had the highest slits I had seen in a long time and completely strapless. Her neck was dripping with diamonds, her lips a bright scarlet.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My dress wasn't quite as dramatic I thought. It was a deep red, off the shoulders. It was close to my body, which I wasn't extremely comfortable with. After my discussion with Eiko, I called her later to apologize for my outburst which she promptly shut down.

I told her about the upcoming event and she was all over it. She sent me the dress with a sweet note that read along the lines of: 'show these heroes who May is'. I was still trying to figure out what exactly it meant.

I had no doubt it was expensive, but I couldn't send it back. It was so kind of Eiko to do that. I had to think of someway to repay her! The dress was beautiful I had to admit and fit me perfectly. I had my hair up in pin curls, trying to get them to cool. I sat down to do my makeup as well, looking back at my phone video chat.

"So many eligible bachelors will be there tonight, Dr. Kataoka. Have your eyes on anyone?" Kayama asked, dusting her nose. Then the only thing I could see was her cleavage as she stared in the mirror.

"Not really. I really plan to make an appearance and then leave," I said, which was true. It made me incredibly nervous knowing so many pro-heroes would be there.

"That's rude," Kayama said, looking down and frowning. "I have so many people to show you off to!"

Show me off? I blushed, starting on my eye liner. "Don't get too many crazy ideas."

"Do you know me at all, Doctor? Crazy turns me on," She sat forward, spraying some perfume. There was a loud bell that went off and she jumped to her feet. "My ride is here! I'll see you there."

The camera cut off before I could say anything. I finished my own makeup, staring at myself in the mirror for a long time. I was a doctor. What was I doing? I took a deep breath, reminding myself that this was my reality now. I put on a necklace I was given at graduation, with a single diamond in the middle.