Chapter 17.5: ...Before the storm

Start from the beginning

Cole sighed, walking up to me and giving me a hug.

Cole: "I love you too, kid. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I promise."

I don't respond for a little bit, the thought of losing Cole...It hurts. I know Cole is strong, but...Kessler is a monster of a person. I would never say this out loud but...Augustine and Kessler? They...They scare me.

(Y/N): "You'd better be."

I let go of Cole, jumping down the fire escape and going out on the town, and heading back to the roof. I just end up waiting for the sun to start setting, since I don't actually have that many things I use during me and Coles patrols. Just a metal baton, some hard knuckled gloves, and a blatant disregard for my own life. I don't think that fighting mentality will do me any good against someone who can surround an entire city district with a concrete wall, though.

After gathering my things and returning to Cole, I give him one last remark before we left to fight.

(Y/N): "So...You ready for this, Brother?"

Cole: "Doesn't matter if I'm ready or not."

(Y/N): "Truer words than most."

Cole: "So...Let's go."

—————
So...

How's life?
—————

The police and pro heroes had already blocked off the entrance to the now destroyed bridge, so me and Cole had to find a way around. Since Cole couldn't swim on account of he'd shock himself to death, he had to take the sewer system that led to the other side of the police barricade. I, on the other hand, just swam past. Fear me and my ability to doggypaddle for a long time (I never learned how to swim correctly).

Climbing up onto the rusty pipeline I saw earlier, I tiptoe my way across, carefully balancing along the pipe until I reached...The historic district. A place that I...

I don't have great memories of.

—————
—————

Izumi: "What happened in the historic district?"

I sigh at her question, the memory still painful, even now.

(Y/N): "Kessler had...He kidnapped trish. She was like a sister to me and he-"

I wasn't even aware of my arms almost flaming with how hot the smoke was getting. I was just so...Pained by the memory that I lost control for a second.

(Y/N): "You know what he did. After all...She's not here anymore..."

Izumi gave me a comforting hug, seeing clearly the grief of my failure. I hug her back, taking a moment to recollect myself.

Izumi: "You don't have to tell me the rest of the story if you're not ready."

(Y/N): "I'm not, but...honestly, I don't think I ever will be. I wanna get this off my chest, let someone else who'll listen know about Cole."

Izumi: "Alright. Just, please don't force yourself."

(Y/N): "Waiting to tell you is like peeling off a bandage slowly or walking into a cold pool. I'd rather just get it over with as fast as possible."

—————
—————

The historic district was surrounded by a massive concrete wall, one that'll likely fall if Augustine dies. I don't see Cole, and I'm most likely not going to. Well... I remember what I was thinking at the time.

'This is it. This is where I look death in the face.'

Walking inside, I could hear some faint conversation in the distance, smell fires, and see shadows cast from flickering light, probably the fires. It seems power was cut from the wall being raised. Either that, or Kessler took out the generators to cripple Cole. Likely the latter.