Chapter 10

Days went by since the incident with Xander and Cason and I found myself lying on my bed on a Saturday morning with no plans.

It was early, maybe around seven I assumed as I hadn't yet checked, but Drey was already busily stepping through jeans and pulling on a nice shirt. I sat up in my bed and I yawned, stretching my arms high up into the air.

"Where are you going?" I asked through my yawn.

Drey snickered as he grabbed his glasses, placing them on his face. "I'm going to see my beautiful May."

"At her house?" I questioned.

"Mhm," Drey said. "I get to meet her parents too."

"You sound excited about that," I replied.

"Of course I am," Drey said as he smiled. "I'm sure they're beautiful people."

I grinned at my roommate and wished him luck before he slipped out of the door. I typically did things with Drey on Saturdays and now that he left, I didn't know what to do.

Xander normally spent this day bringing his daughter, Hadlee, out and Hayden had to work.

Even so, I called up Xander as I knew I'd be bored out of my mind if not, and he answered within a few rings.

"Hello?" he asked, his voice raspy and tired.

"Hey," I said. "It's me."

Xander yawned. "Why are you calling so early?"

I had forgotten that it was early in the morning because of Drey and apologized.

"Sorry," I said. "I didn't realize. Go back to sleep."

"No," Xander replied. "I'm up. What is it?"

"Do you have plans today?" I asked.

"I'm bringing Hadlee to the park I think," he told me. "Why?"

"Do you mind if I come?" I asked.

"Of course not," he said. "I'll pick you up in an hour."

Xander arrived at my dorm after an hour had passed and I hopped into the passenger seat. Looking back, I smiled at Hadlee who's hair was tied back in two ponytails and she wore an outfit of all pink. She smiled back at me and I turned back to Xander.

"Who did her hair?" I asked. "It's cute."

Xander grinned. "I did."

"Really?" I asked. "That's surprising."

"I'm her father," he shrugged as he drove. "I've gotta learn how to do things for her."

"I see," I replied. I couldn't imagine having a child at my age and wondered how Xander did it.

After around ten minutes of driving, we arrived at the park. Xander unbuckled Hadlee from her car seat and swung her into his arms. He tickled her stomach with one hand and she giggled, fighting him away.

I smiled at the pair as we walked and Xander released Hadlee to the ground. Her stubby legs began to run as fast as she was able and plopped down in the sand pit. Xander and I took a seat on the brick wall that overlooked the sand pit as we watched her play.

Soon enough, a little boy around her age stumbled over and took a seat beside her.

"Build castle?" he asked, his voice high-pitched.

Hadlee smiled at the boy and nodded and the two of them got to work.

"Daddy?" Hadlee asked as she looked up at her father, her eyes wide.

"Yeah, Hadlee?" Xander said as he hopped down from the wall. I followed suit and crouched down beside the two children.

"Help," she said and fiddled with the sand.

Xander laughed and grabbed a pail from the sand and filled it.

"Like this," he said as he patted down the sand in the bucket. Then, he flipped it over quickly and waited a few seconds. "Slowly pick up the bucket and..."

Xander removed the pail and the sand stuck together in the shape of it. Hadlee gasped and the boy clapped his hands in awe.

"Do it again!" Hadlee urged and Xander laughed. He looked over at me before he reached out, the bucket in his hand.

"Jasper is going to help you," he said as Hadlee turned to me.

"I, uh," I started. "Yeah, watch this."

Xander puffed out a laugh and said, "You're so awkward."

I hushed him and began to fill the pail with sand. I placed it in the middle of both children and encouraged them to help. Their tiny hands scooped up the sand and carefully dumped it in the bucket. It took a while, but Xander and I watched with smiles on our faces. When it was finally full, I flipped the bucket over and created another part of the "castle" next to the one Xander had made.

The children clapped again and grinned widely, excited at the progress.

We stayed for about an hour more and the little boy's mother came over, introducing herself to us.

She told us her son's name was Alex and he had just turned three. She was happy that he was getting along so well with Hadlee and took down Xander's number so the two could plan play dates in the future.

When she came over, though, she thought that we were just babysitting. Xander explained he was Hadlee's father and the woman looked over at me to introduce myself. I said my name was Jasper and then Xander took it upon himself to tell the woman that we were together.

My eyes widened. Homosexuality was often frowned upon by others and I didn't want this woman to look at us in a bad way.

"Beautiful," she said as she smiled warmly. "I can see you're both wonderful parents."

"Thank you," Xander said as he pulled Hadlee to him. "It means a lot."

Alex was sad to say goodbye to Hadlee and the two shared a hug before it was time to depart.

As soon as Hadlee was strapped into her car seat, she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Xander and I whispered to each other, careful not to wake her. We arrived back at my dorm soon after and I unbuckled my seat belt before attempting to slide out of the car.

Xander caught my arm though, saying, "Hey."

I turned my head and he leaned over to the passenger seat, softly placing his lips to mine. I kissed him back before he pulled away, grinning.

"Thanks for coming, Jasper."

———
Hi, thank you for reading!