Gems

"Do you think she's dead?" A thick honey smooth voice overhead asks in a hush whisper.

"They don't usually kill slaves, especially new blood." Another voice whispers, softer and higher pitch like a bird. 

 A cold towel brushes my warm forehead. I lean against it, the releif and shock waking me up. A throaty moan, I crack open heavy eyes. I can't see for a second, it's too dark and bright all at the same time. Struggling to see, I blink many times before shapes took form. 

I'm in a very strange cave-like area. Cold walls, dripping water down onto the cold stony floor, there's corners tucked behind boulders filled with makeshift blankets and hay. I happen to be in one of the crooks, a haystack and small blanket the only protection I have against the elements. Sniffling, I shiver painfully aware of teh man and woman before me. 

The woman leans over me a little lanturn swinging above illuminating her shadowy face. She has no hair, all of it clean shaved. Her skin, this skiny emerald green, that's full of crooks and scars. She reaches for my cheek, cupping it between her long nad glittering nails. She brushes my hair to the side, looking me up and down. "Are you thirsty?"

I nod weakly. She smiles, dimond teeth flashing, "Good. I'll get some water." She comes back with a pitcher. I suck at the water, throat cooling. With a grimice, I ask chocking, "Where am I?"

The woman presses her rose tinted lips, "First, you should lean back down. You were roughed up pretty badly." She lighlty pushes me down, and pushed up the blankets back to my chin, tucking me. 

The man next to her, waves a hand over my forehead pressing down a cool damp rag, "You should be thankful to be alive." He looks a lot like the woman, with emerald dark green skin, and Azul hair that clicks each time he moves. He has a very round face, the shape of a diamond, just like his clear eyes. 

They both are dressed in rags. 

Some more water, and even a little bit of food, I feel safe again. "Where am I?"

They both glance at one another, and after a silent conversation the woman brushes my hair to the side, "Listen very carefully to our story. Do not speak, until the very end. You are in a very bad place. We call it the Pits. And it's where we mine gems for our masters." She presses a hand to her chest, "When we mine, we take the gems into our own bodies until we are all gem and nothing left. Once we are purified and ready for harvesting, the masters take us away and we ar eno more." She closes her eyes, "Once we were flesh, but no longer. And  you too. You'll be joining us soon. Becoming a gem rather than a person." 

The man resets my rag and whispers, "If you want to survive there is a few rules. Do not lose hope. Do not lose love. And never answer the pits."

My eyes are wide, and I'm running in circles with questions but I stay silent as they continoue telling me about the Pits. 

The woman picks up the conversationg, "Be wary of heartbreak, and fear. Gems are attracted to the weak hearted."

I grimace clutching my hearts. 

She pats my shoulder, "You should be fine. They do not send the newer slaves to the lower area's. You will have time before you are harvested."

I don't know if I should even be thankful for that. Wouldn't it be better to die faster? Or do you take it slow in hopes you survive. I'm about to speak when there was a commotion going on. Whispers throughout the cave, and the sharp intake of breath as two people walk into the cave. 

One has the bright slaver armor covering everything including their face. The other is a scientist looking person, with a tool set by their hips, and a clipboard in hand. He stops by each person asking names, information, and then he forces them to strip so he can see how far they are with the... gem making. He is quick, his words like ice.