08

"Of all the worlds of mice and men, the saddest are 'it might have been'

"Of all the worlds of mice and men, the saddest are 'it might have been'."

―Kurt Vonnegut

Astoria wasn't at camp when it came down, instead she was in the stream close to where she had once had her own small 'camp' inside a cave. She was under the water, scrubbing the dirt from her scalp for the first time in too long, and when she reemerged the object was shooting across the sky towards the ground.

At first she thought it to be shooting star, though when it released a parachute to land with less momentum she stood up in the water, her feet sinking into the mucky bottom. It reminded her of when the dropship first came down, and she knew it was from the hundreds people in space.

She threw her clothes back on without properly bothering to dry herself, her wet hair being tied back with a piece of red seatbelt she had cut from the dropship and made into a tie. Then she was moving in the direction that the ship had fallen from, wishing she had time to clean the dirt from under her nails and wait so her clothes wouldn't be wet. But she had continued through worse circumstances.

It was light when she reached it; a small pod sitting in he middle of a clearing with its hatch opened, Bellamy leaning inside. Astoria took a moment to just observe, not making her presence known. It was from the ark, she knew that much, but why they would send something down when they had just dropped the teenagers to try and fend for themselves was beyond her.

"What is this?" She finally questioned, the words making Bellamy twist around swiftly to find the grounder standing with a confused look on her face. The man let out a huff, turning back and yanking something from the ship before making making his way towards her. Astoria had her mouth open to question what was in his hand—the device one that she had never seen before—but before words could escape Bellamy had a grip on her upper arm as he dragged her away from the scene.

She went along with him until they were a good distance from the ship, where she then shook herself free and sent a glare his way. He only rolled his eyes.

"What is that?" Astoria questioned, her tone of voice making it clear that she had no plans to remain in the dark.

"A radio, one that'll contact the Ark," he explained, and Astoria raised her eyebrows. "We're gonna destroy it."

Then he grabbed her again, trying to pull her along. They didn't make it far before Astoria fully digested his words and stopped him again. "Why would I have any interest in doing that?" her tone was snarky, and Bellamy sighed; it was as though he expected her to know his plan without him having to explain it.

"Because, if the people up there think it's safe they're going to come down." His words didn't seem to set off any alarms off in her head, so he continued. "You think they'll just welcome you with open arms? That they'll put a gun in your hands and let you fight with us after the other grounders have killed their kids? They make it down here, and you're dead."