20

"I was delighted to see you again, and forgot for a moment that all happiness is fleeting

"I was delighted to see you again, and forgot for a moment that all happiness is fleeting." 

—Alexandre Dumas

As she was carried through the camp, Astoria caught sight of Octavia and Raven. The girls looked just as shocked to see her as the others had been, but the grounder found herself relaxing. Two more of her friends were safe. They remained outside of the tent, but Bellamy and Clarke stood watching as the older woman began to survey Astoria's wounds. It made her tense; memories of Dr. Tsing and her assistants infiltrating her mind. She wasn't sure if she liked doctors.

"Alright sweetheart," the woman began, clicking on a flashlight and waving it in front of Astoria's eyes. She whimpered and scooted back on the cot they had her lying on, but it seemed the woman was pleased with the way her eyes reacted and followed the light. She brought the flashlight down and continued, "My name is Abby Griffin, can you tell me your name and where you were prior to getting here?"

The grounder opened and closed her mouth, trying to process the words. Griffin... that was Clarke's second name. Astoria looked towards the blonde, but she looked much too worried to confirm anything. "My name..." she felt so faint, and she hoped someone would be able to grab her some water. "My name is Astoria kom Trikru and... and I..." Both Clarke and Bellamy looked fearful at the way she struggled to speak. But her body was in so much pain, and she found it difficult to remain awake. "I was in the mountain."

"I found where they were keeping the grounders," Clarke shook her head as Abby pulled back a piece of gauze that covered the holes in her thigh. Bellamy took a step forward. "You weren't there—Dante told us you were dead."

"They have other grounders?" Astoria questioned, horror seeped into her voice.

When Abby grabbed the girls left hand she flinched, finding the doctors eyes immediately. She had a kind face, and against her better judgment Astoria didn't pull away. She let the woman peel the bandage that was covering where her pinky once was, and everyone in the room watched in disbelief.

"On my God," Clarke breathed and Astoria shifted in her spot. She didn't enjoy the attention.

"What were they doing to you in there?" Bellamy asked, eyes focused on Astoria's face. He wasn't sure he'd be able to look at her injuries without becoming blind with rage.

The grounder went silent. She couldn't tell them, not when she had no hope of finding a way to rid herself of the radiation sickness Dante told her about. "He only wanted my bone marrow," she lied, shaking her head and feigning confusion. "When I didn't cooperate, I was punished." Her mind moved to the others as Abby began to wrap her injuries in clean bandage. Dante had threatened to kill Miller, and she desperately hoped it was a hollow warning. "The teenagers," she rushed out, moving her eyes between Clarke and Bellamy. "Are they here? Tell me they all got out—"