Besides, Kal is strong, He truly can handle everything. His anxiety rarely stops him from doing anything. Sure, it bothers him every now and then, but it doesn't hold him back. He learned to ignore it. He's determined.

But that doesn't mean he can't be knocked down every now and then. Especially for something this big. He's about to see his abuser for the first time in years. This time. He's not just a racist, homophobic, asshole. He's also a violent murderer.

And so is his brother.

He has to face him too.

Kyle Patterson. Chad's step-brother, and Amir's killer.

He will be in the courthouse, along with the rest of Chad's family.

I wonder what they think about what he did. It would amaze me if they still stood by him, after all his crimes. He's not the first person to have killed. In fact, they'd probably stand by his actions. They're probably as deranged as he is.

"Look, man," Oliver leans forward. "I know you're afraid, and what you're about to do takes serious guts. But your testimony matters in this trial. What you say in there could change the course of the entire trail."

"That's a lot of pressure."

"I know, I know, but that's the point. You finally have the opportunity to get justice. You can contribute to his sentencing, and make sure he gets locked away as long as possible."

"That's what you've always wanted," I add. "He might not go to prison for what he did to you, but you can help send him away for something much worse."

"By testifying, what happened to you won't be in vain. You wouldn't have suffered for nothing."

Kal stays silent, unsure of how to respond. I can tell he wants to go in. He wants to say his piece and face his enemy. But it can't be easy.

"Okay," he nods. "But I can't walk up alone."

"That's okay. Ollie and Alex will walk with you, and I'll meet you up there."

"Alright," he lets out a deep breath.

"I'll go first, okay? You take a few deep breathes, and I'll see you up there."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Oliver places his hand on my knee, stopping me from opening the door.

"Yeah," I smile sweetly. "I can handle it."

The cameras make me anxious, but not anxious enough to stop me from helping my friend.

"Let me go first," he insists, but it's too late. I push the door open, stepping out of the vehicle. Instantly, I'm met with flashing lights and the loud voices of journalists, asking me all kinds of questions.

"How are you feeling about today?"

"Where is Kaleem Washington?"

"Will Oliver Ferrari be joining you?"

"Will Kaleem be testifying today?"

I ignore them, keeping my head down as I follow the security guard through the crowd. It doesn't take long until they shift their attention from me back to the car. Kaleem must've just gotten out with Ollie and Alex. I don't look back at them until I'm inside the courthouse. I glance out the window, watching the three boys make their way up the steps.

"Crazy, isn't it?" Mary comments, joining me at the window. "We're just normal people, but they want to know everything about us."

"We're not normal people," Ari responds. "We're privileged. We're rich and influential."