Exhaust: 3

My body shakes back and forth, the ground beneath me shifting. The movements awaken me, my eyes flying open. I blink rapidly, trying to check my surroundings without being blinded by the light.

"Rise and shine, babycakes," Kal's voice sounds through the room. He's whispering, but it's too loud.

"Shhh," I scold. His hand is on my shoulder, shaking my body awake.

"Do you still want to come to the office with us?"

"Uhm-hmm," I nod.

"Then it's time to get up."

"No," I mumble. "It's too early."

"Too bad. You can sleep later."

"I want to sleep now."

"You're just scared to see Oliver."

"Stop," I sleepily shove his arm.

"Is it too early to talk about it?"

"Uhm-hmm."

"Sorry."

"It's okay," I scoot closer to him, nuzzling against his chest. I try to open my eyes again. This time, most of the light is blocked by Kal's dark shirt. "I missed you."

"I just saw you two weeks ago," he chuckles. "But it's good to see you too, babycakes. I'm glad you're moving back here."

"Me too."

I let out a deep breath, feeling my body start to drift off again. A small nudge from Kal wakes me right back up.

"Come on, Lucy, it's time to get up," he says.

"Where's Ari?"

"She's in the shower."

"Okay," I nod. I really need to get up now.

"I'm going to make you some breakfast, and then we'll go, okay?" he pulls away from me, sliding off the edge of the bed and climbing onto his feet. "And don't be late. We're leaving in half an hour."

"Yep."

I struggle to keep my eyes from falling shut. As much as I want to go back to sleep, today is an important day. And no matter what I do, I cannot back out.

I've been waiting for this day for months now—planning and prepping exactly what to say and how to say it.

I'm not nervous. I thought I would be, but I'm not. At least, not yet. Right now, I feel more tired than anything; a little excited, but that's it.

I climb out of bed, wincing at the cold tiles on my feet. So far, that's the only downside of this apartment. Everything else about it is great. With a large open living space, a bathroom, and two bedrooms each with their own en-suite, the place is big. It matches the same style as the rest of the apartment building, just like Mary and Liam's place, and it also has a killer view.

It is very bright, though, and more modern than art-deco. There's so much white, it would look like a hospital if it wasn't so shiny. Even our kitchen is completely white. It reminds me of offices and buildings from futuristic sci-fi movies.

Maybe it's to prevent murders. There's no way a serial killer would be able to remove all traces of blood from a place like this.

Wow. I've definitely been watching too many murder mysteries.

It's going to suck when I get my period, though. At least the furniture isn't white. Most of Mary's was black, but ours is dark blue and brown. My sheets are white, though, so I'm going to have to add some color to my room somehow. I'm not sure if the place came furnished, or if Mary or Kal styles it for us. I'll have to ask them later.