Chapter Fourteen

"We have to go!" Marco had yelled to her, pulling her by the arm. Her face was blank, eyes dead. She watched as one of the trainees was bitten in half. His blood splattered Nora's face.

She began to run, being half dragged by Marco. The freckled boy was terrified, that much was obvious, but he was also terrified for his comrades.

"M-M-Marco!" she stammers out, stopping. The girl she shared a bunk with splayed out on a rooftop, with a piece of wood staking her body down. A gash on her abdomen had opened up her stomach, her insides being pulled to the outside. Nora falls to her knees, emptying her stomach contents onto the roof. Marco looks at her sadly, pulling her to feet and forcing her to continue.

The smell of blood permeated the air. There was no denying it: Even the air smelled of death.

--

By the time Levi had reached her, she was staring at the wall, hazel eyes brimming with tears. Jean was trying to wake her up, supporting her entire body with one arm. Her face was deadly pale.

"Marco, h-help," she whispers, shaking.

"Corporal, help, she just collapsed. She wakes up every now and then, but she doesn't come to. She's been reliving scenes I think," Jean says, lifting her to her feet. She suddenly gasps, coming to fully. Her eyes are hazed over. "Nora!"

"Oh my god," she whispers, bringing her hand shakily to her mouth. She's looking at the ground, but when her eyes reach up to Levi, she takes a deep breath. "Bathroom," she says, looking to him desperately.

"Everyone, get back to work," the Captain snaps, looking at the young Scouts. Levi lifts her with one arm, carrying her small body easily. He walks quickly, taking her to the nearest bathroom and lowering her in front of the toilet. She falls to her knees, dry heaving. Levi watches her, arms crossed and leaning against the wall.

"I'm sorry," she says tearily. She wipes her mouth on the back of her hand, and Levi bites his lip at her filthy action, not wanting to make her upset by commenting.

"Do you feel any better?"

"Kitchen," she mumbles, flushing down her stomach contents and standing up. She shakes with every step. "I have to help."

"Next time," he says gently. "I think you should also take the day off."

"I'm weak," she says, tears forming in her eyes. "You say it all the time. It's true! It's true! I'm weak, Levi! I'm going to die next time I see a Titan! I'm so weak!" Nora yells, beginning to lower her body again, to curl up in a ball and cry. Levi pulls her into a tight hug.

"Shh," he whispers. She's crying and her nose is probably running all over his jacket, but either way, she needed him right now. He lifts her up, and her legs immediately go to wrap around his waist. She squeezes him tightly, not daring to let go. He begins to walk up the stairs, when he gets questionable eyes from Erwin, who's leaving his office. "Erwin, send up some whiskey to my room. She needs some rest," he says calmly. Erwin narrows his blue eyes at the young Captain, but nonetheless nods.