Chapter Six

"Levi, I-"

"Listen, brat," the young man grumbled, looking to girl next to him. "Don't forget where we are. We're at Headquarters, and I'm your Captain."

She puffed out her cheeks, looking at the man five years her senior. "Don't be so mean," she whines, grabbing his arm and shaking him slightly. "I just wanted to ask you something."

"Ask away," he sighs, reading some papers that Erwin had handed him earlier.

"Can I meet you in your room tonight?"

He slowly lifted his eyes and looked at her from under his black lashes. "Why?" Levi asks, sounding very accusatory.

"I haven't seen you in seven years, that's why," she says matter-of-factly.

"Perhaps I didn't want to see you for seven years," he counters, earning him a punch in the shoulder that really didn't even hurt. He can help but grin some.

"You're so mean!" Nora whines.

"But I'm also your superior."

"But you're tiny."

If anyone else had said that, Levi would have easily knocked them in the face. But it was Nora who said that little insult. So it was okay.

"You're tinier," he finally says, walking away from her. "Now go eat!"

"See you later, Heichou!" she yells after him. Hearing her call him that sends an ominous chill down his spine.

--

"Hey, uh, Nora?" Jean asks at dinner that night, nudging the girl at his side. He looks at her questionably.

"Yes?" she answers, giving him a bright smile.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah! Why?"

"Today's the first time in four years that you've sat in the middle of the table with a group of people."

It's true. All through her time in the 104th Trainee Squad, Nora had sat at the edge of the table and kept to herself, usually with a stack of papers in front of her to read, so she could study even at dinner. People would try to make conversation with her, but she'd only answer with simple "okay"s or "yes"s.

Tonight was completely different.