Chapter Twenty Three

Before you read the update (woo! I finally updated!) lemme just give a quick explanation... For the past three weeks I've been busy every single day with work, school, and, get this, dance practice. Ah yes, the awkward and uncoordinated author-chan was forced to learn to dance for the sake of my best friend's debut celebration. Oh dear, was that a nightmare.

So, here's the newest chapter! And little warning... There's like, 2 chapters left...

____________________________

Eren and Historia were the future of life within the Walls. The two of them were essential to the rebuilding of the new world; Eren was needed to restore order, and Historia was meant to maintain that order.

They were both captured.

They had to be rescued.

"Please stay here," Levi was asking her again, for the twenty eighth time that day alone. "No one besides who's here even knows you're alive. Stay here and wait for me. Please, just wait for me."

"No."

"Please, just-"

"Just what?" Nora's arms were crossed as she stared him down. His body froze under her icy gaze. She exhales an annoyed sigh, uncrossing her arms to tighten the straps across her thighs and down her quads. She was mumbling to herself about "how these damn straps were all messed up" as she tried making them tighter, frustrated at how her lack of training these past couple of weeks caused her muscle mass to decrease and make her gear impossible to tighten, when with a huff of breath Levi helped her tighten them himself.

"You damn brat, if you're going to be a pain in the ass and not listen to me your gear should at least fit so you don't end up killing yourself."

"I don't need your help," the hazel eyed girl protests, still allowing him to adjust them anyways. "Why are you so afraid of me helping?"

After finishing adjusting her gear, Levi arose from his knees so he was now looking down to her slightly. He scratched the back of his head in trepidation, fingers gently gliding over his undercut. "You were already nearly killed by their guns. They're hard to maneuver around. I just... I just am really afraid for you." He grabs both of her small hands in his own that were roughened from years of using the maneuver gear, giving them a tight squeeze. "It makes me so anxious that you don't even worry about yourself, even when running straight into danger."

With a gentle smile she leans forward, nuzzling her face into his chest and hugging him tightly, inhaling his comforting scent of soap and the slight smell of sweat. "Oh, come on, Levi. We both know that you'll be looking out for me anyways, so why should I even be worried?"

Levi pauses for a moment, taking a deep breath as he feels her heart beat against his own. He lets out a content sigh, opening his mouth to speak when Jean appears in the doorway.

"Corporal, we've retrieved the gear. Armin, Mikasa, and I have inspected all of them. They all are in perfect condition and usable."

"Good, tell everyone to adjust their gear so they don't break their necks and to finish collecting the supplies. We'll be rendezvousing with Hanji outside the Military Police base." Jean nods, and by force of habit he salutes before realizing with reddened cheeks that it was unnecessary. Nora watches as he works on the straps around his waist as he begins to head out the door, suppressing a laugh as he struggles to tighten them.

"Oh, Corporal, you really do know how to get everyone to work together."

"Even if I didn't hand pick them myself, they're now my Special Operations Squad. They're the new Team Levi, whether they want to be or not. It's what has to be done, and it is what will be done to protect everyone."