Chapter Three

The sun was just starting to rise, peering up over from the west side of the walls. Or maybe it was the east. She wasn't sure; all she knew was that the giant orb that would grace the day with light was appearing from behind one of the walls, glowing with shades of purple and orange and pink and yellow.

A smile managed to reach her lips. She did love mornings.

"Mother, may I go out?" Her voice still had a certain pitch to it that graded on the middle aged woman's nerves.

"Why must you ask permission?" the woman, whose hair was already starting to grey, asked, snapping at the young girl.

"Perhaps you wanted to do something with me today, that is why I asked."

A laugh had actually escaped the woman's lips. "Not likely," she managed through her fit of laughter.

"Of course. A silly question by me," the girl responded, curls bouncing as she left the room.

"Put on your jewelry! If someone who knows us sees you, I don't want you looking like a poor girl from Wall Maria!" she heard her mother call after her.

Mentally noting that, the girl picked out one of her favorite summer dresses: a stark white dress that had a lace corset and layers of flowing silk that went down to her knee, separated by an embroidered gold band that went around the waist. She slipped into a pair of white flats, the same shade as the dress. Remembering her mother's note, she went to her jewelry box.

Every day she had to adorn herself with heavy gold and jewels that weighed her down. But as per her mother's wishes, she complied.

She fastened some gold bracelets encrusted with diamonds around her wrist. A gold clip pinned her fringe away from her eyes, pulling the hair off to the side. After twisting her long hair in a tight braid that finished all the way down her back, she secured it with a tie and continued her search through the large box filled with precious metals and equally as precious rocks. After sticking large diamonds mounted on gold rods through her ears, she finished off her attire with one of her mother's favorite pieces- a gold link chain with a large gold pendant that was so long it went down past her chest, the weight of the large emeralds diamonds secured in the teardrop shape pendant, which felt heavy on her entire body.

"Acceptable," her mother replied, looking carefully at her young daughter. "Your woman's touch is growing keener every day. Maybe soon I could look for callers for you," her mother complimented.

It was the first compliment her mother had given her in a long time.

She left the large manor that was her home and towards the Wall of Sina. The guard let her out without even a second thought.