† Chap. 1: Heavy Feeling †

«Sister Annabelle» I gently called my older sister, as she turned around, looking at me smiling«Oh, good morning Sister Jisoo

«Oh, good morning Sister Jisoo. How are you?»
I smiled back «Very good thank you. How about you? Did you had troubles sleeping again?»
She shook her head «I prayed a little more than I usually do. So our Lord thankfully helped me have a nice rest. I'm old and I need it.»
I hummed «So it was some kind of bad spirit uh?»
«Most likely. So we decided to make a round of blessing of every room of the dormitory. Just to make sure the Devil's creatures that might be lurking around won't cause us any harm.»
I hummed once again «May I join and learn how to do that? I'm still young and have a lot to learn.»
She smiled «Of course you can. You're one of our youngest but you're so eager to learn, to follow the light path and live with God's teaching at your best. I'm really proud of you. That day we found you in that trash can must have been fate, you've grown so well.»
I blushed «Oh, thank you for the kind words. It's true that I try my best, but I just trust our Lord without any doubt. I know He has a plan for me, that I'll be safe and will always have someone who will love me even in the darkest times, who will give me a hand when I fall down. I'm so grateful to our Lord to give me another chance to live.»
The voice of Sister Claire resonated behind us «As I expected from my favorite student, Jisoo, you never stop surprising me with your great and pure mind. And you're just 19.»
I blushed again «Oh no please, don't praise me like that. I'm not worth of such praises. I'm just as good as others.»

As we kept talking in a gentle voice, we walked towards the church to have our 6 a.m Mass.

I first joined the monastery when I was just a couple of months old. I've been told my family have abandoned me in a trash can and that Sisters Annabelle, Chaeryoung and Christine while passing by with some groceries heard my cryings and luckily for me they brought me at the monastery with them, where I've been raised by nuns and monks, strictly divided and could meet only during Mass or in common places, such as the library, church, the garden, the cloister or the cimitery. The two genders couldn't even eat together.

The place was quite big and very peaceful, there rarely were obnoxious noises unless it came from the outside. Quarrels were quickly silenced by either being cut and concluded or they would have asked to move to a more private place to not disturb the people lives or prayers. If the quarrel was among two opposite genders, if they would have been moved, they would have gone into a common room purposely created for meetings and this kind of situations.

Everything went always by smoothly, like a well oiled machine. Olders and wisers taught the novices all they knew and made sure they had someone they could always use as a reference point, everyone had their tasks and routines, all to contribute at the good functioning of the community.

After the Mass was done I was left in the church alone, wanting to pray a little more, thanking once again our Lord for saving my life and show my gratitude. When I suddenly felt a heavy presence around me, making me open my eyes and still keeping my kneeling position, look around, no one or nothing. Yet, I didn't feel at ease, I clasped my hands together and started praying again, praying for God to look over me and protect me. I said one Our Father, one Hail Mary, one Apostles Creed and lastly a Glory Be.