[seven.] you are reborn tonight

[ you are reborn tonight ]

. . .

headcanon
a new year, the acceptance of flaws;
an opportunity, given to those who are lost,
to restart—to find home

. . .

WE'RE not coming back.

As he enters the deserted headquarters of Feida, Saryuu Evan feels a tight knot in his chest. Staring at the ruins of his home, he could only frown. He takes long strides to reach the other side of the room, where his chair stands, untouched. He raises his hand to touch it, and his breath hitches when he does. It no longer has the same powerful aura as it did back then. Still, he pulls it back.

And he sits.

Staring at the ruins of his home, he closes his eyes. This is where everything began. Where he carefully constructed the rebellion. Where he gathered those who are like him: the outcasts, the freaks, the abandoned. Where he found his purpose, and his ambitions. Where he accepted his ephemeral life, and rejected the idea of giving in to the ignorance of boring humans. Where he welcomed death like an old friend. Where his power undoubtedly thrived.

He bites his lower lip anxiously.

This is where he shared laughter with his peers. Where each of them showcased each other's abilities. Where they discussed things only they could understand. Where they exchanged knowing smiles when they prepared to attack. Where they had their childish arguments. Where they act and think like adults, even if they're kids.

This is where he felt like home.

Now, everything has changed. Just a few months ago, El Dorado had offered him a chance to redeem himself—by giving him a vaccine that could remove the SSC genes. Getting rid of the genes only meant his powers will perish forever. However, he would be able to live a longer life. And despite himself, he accepted the offer instantly. Nobody had forced him to do so, but Saryuu felt like he had to set an example for his people—for his family. And one by one, most followed him. There were rebels, of course, but they easily gave in.

The removal was a success, and Feida was no more.

We're not coming back.

In the new headquarters of El Dorado, where he and the others Second Stage Children are being monitored, he has been given therapy and other medications to adjust to his now normal life. It was difficult at first, not using his powers. Not being able to admire his aura in an ampule.

Saryuu has never felt so strange before. Being a Second Stage Child is all that he knows, ever since he was younger. He's accepted his short time in the world, so he'd been reckless and ambitious. He did everything he could to support himself and the other Second Stage Children through all the hardships and cruelty they've endured. (All the threats and lies everyone else ever told him is written in stone. He never forgets.)

Before, as delicately as he can, Saryuu crafts new words of encouragement in his bones, to remind himself that he is gifted. Every day, he reminds his people that they are special. He reminds them that the low-life humans are nothing compared to them.