'𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧'

He doesn't know what happened, because one moment he's collecting crabs for his tutor, and then something happened for him to tumble against the waves.

Jeongguk's eyes burn and they burn so bad, the waves are restless, they are relentless and cruel, he can't scream.

Somehow he feels his chest constrict, because he can't feel his feet touch the bottom and – oh god, oh god, what the hell was that?! Jeongguk was panicking, he's going to a deeper part now.

He can't swim.

This is stupid and he regrets sneaking out.

He repeats a mantra in his head that sounds like a prayer, and the only words he repeated were "I'm sorry and I'll be good."

He wonders if some deity hears it because, he's dizzy, he's blacking out, and he feels a pull towards a place he knows not.

Jeongguk prays harder.

He coughs water when his feet touch some part of sand below and instinctively jumps up. He sees a blurry figure of a man.

They're reaching a more shallow part now, he can tell because the waves are the harshest and he's out of breath.

He's not in the best state.

But a pull keeps him going. He tries as much to help, and when they reach the shore, he collapses in a coughing fit.

He grips the sand with his palms facing downwards and from beside him a voice asks,

"Jeongguk? Jeongguk? Are you okay – you stubborn buffoon! Answer me – yah!"

He manages to look up, and locate the face of – ah, his knight.

"Thank you," he mumbles before falling down into a deep abyss.

And really, that's all he could say. Not when he almost never regarded Taehyung higher than a commoner.

But today, he realizes something.