Chapter 60: The Business Gala

Börja om från början

I was completely taken aback. Natalias words were comforting, and definitely eased the unsteadiness between Andrew and I regarding his past relationship. I could tell just by his facial expressions how much he's been through and how he never got the closure he needed.

He can never completely move on, and that's okay.

To be broken is to be human.

"I don't think we're quite there yet." I tried lightening the mood, which was semi-successful judging by the look on Natalias face. She grinned brightly, her face glistening from the rays of sun peeking into the car.

"Yeah, but I know you are." She told me. "Look, I know you love him. You told me...and I believe you. You care about him. Over these past couple of months, I was quite hesitant about a girl coming into Andrew's life, but I've come to enjoy your company. It's soothing and something I definitely needed in my life. I like you, Lia. So....just don't....break his heart."

"I won't." I placed my hand on her forearm gracefully. Her skin was warm to the touch.

I wouldn't dare put him through the heartbreak he was put through all those years ago.

Andrew's like a window (as weird as that sounds), he only lets somethings through to him, but there are things that completely shatter him and rip him apart. But from there, he's left to pick himself up and put himself back together again.

That's just the type of person he is.

After all the pondering, Natalia pulled into the small parking lot of a brick building. It had a fire escape with black stairs, and above the white door was the boutique sign.

It read Glamorous.

We both got out of the car in unison. "I used to come here for my prom dresses when I was your age. Then, from there I got my wedding dress here, and now I just get event dresses designed for me all the time. The owner and I are old friends."

I was nervous. This place was intimidating.

As soon as we walked in, I became overwhelmed. The floor was so clean that you could see your reflection through it. Glass chandeliers hung from the ceiling, and there were hundreds of dresses on display, all in a big circle.

The amount of mirrors in this place was absolutely insane. I could never understand how people could work here and be okay with looking at themselves for the whole day.

"Meredith!" Natalia squeals as she approaches a women, who seemed to be relatively her age. She wore a pantsuit, and definitely rocked it. Her pumps clanked against the tile floor, giving the place an aesthetic that was pleasing. This place was calming, despite the exaggerated decor.

"Natalia Simmons, holy crap. I haven't seen you in a year! How've you been?" They both hugged each other while I stood idly.

Awkward.

"I've been alright. Business has been fast lately. I think it's because junior prom for the high schools is approaching soon. They have it early, in April. It's shocking, really."

"Wow. It must be cold around that time."

"For sure." Meredith nodded. "But it's Cali. The weather is always unpredictable."

"Indeed it is." Natalia smiled, looking at her friend. "Well, I have a job for you."

"Nat, we already have your gown ready and tailored." She gestured behind her, and there sat a black ball gown, with a sequined corset, with no straps, and the bottom half of it poofed out.

Even on the mannequin it looked stunning.

"That's not what I'm here for." Natalia grabbed my arm. "This is Lia, and she's attending the Business Gala in a few days. Can you help her find a dress?"