Chapter 23

Dean carries a tray of food from the drive-in window to the Impala. His brother is in the Impala talking on his cell phone.

“Yeah. And you're certain? You sure? Okay. Great. Just, uh, just hang tight till you hear from me, okay?” He looked nervous as his brother got closer to the vehicle. Dean gets into the car staring.

“Who is it?” He speaks in a loud whisper, “Sammy who is it?”

Sam frowns, holding up a finger to his older brother, “No, listen to me. I said hang tight.” He hangs up the phone and sighed in a frustrated manner.

“We got to go Dean.” He speaks quickly, reaching over to put the keys in the ignition.

Dean was quick to pout, “Can I at least finish my burger?”

Sam rolled his eyes, getting serious once more. “We got a vamp kill, Dean - Carencro, Louisiana. There have been body drops down the entire coast. Now it’s stopped in Louisiana.”

“Huh. It’s been awhile since I’ve had some etouffee. Who’s the source?” Dean chuckles to himself.

Sam huffed, “Martin Creaser.” In the silence that followed, the brothers took long looks at one another.

“Sorry - for a minute there, I thought you said Martin Creaser.” Dean looked dumbfounded as Sam stayed silent, “Crazy Martin from the loony bin?”

Sam challenged his brother, “Glendale Springs discharged him last month.”

Dean looked annoyed, “And? Shouldn’t he be assembling toys in a padded room? What’s he doing back on the job?”

Sam rubbed his temples, sure Dean wasn’t going to be happy no matter what way the conversation went. “I asked him.”

“You what?” Dean raised his voice lightly.

“Look, he called me when he got out, okay, asked if I has anything for him that might help him ease back into the game. He seemed okay - mostly - so I said yes. I’ve had him tracking Benny for the past week.” Sam rambled on, expecting the worst out of Dean.

“You put ‘mostly okay’ Martin on benny? What’s ‘mostly okay’ doing hunting at all?

Sam objects, “Not hunting, Dean - tracking. Observe and report only. I was crystal clear about that.”

Dean hit the wheel in frustration, “I can’t believe this.”

“Really Dean? You don’t believe that? Because Benny’s a vampire. And any hunter worth his salt isn’t gonna let one walk around freely. So I had Martin keep tabs on him. And now, it’s looking like I made the right call.” Sam had a scowl on his face. Sick of Dean defending a monster over him.

Dean looked like he didn’t want to hear anything further, but edged on the possible argument further, “So Martin’s saying Benny did this?”

Sam looked questionably towards his brother, “Yeah.”

“Fine, If Benny’s in Louisiana draining folks...we should look into it.” Dean starts the engine of the impala, still frustrated. Sam looks confused, but stays silent so he can have his way for once.

~4 hours later~

The boys are in the Impala as they cruise past a sign that reads, “Welcome to Louisiana/ Bienvenue en Louisiane”

They make their way over a river junction, driving over a bridge. A mile down the road they take a corner and pull up outside a motel. Sam and Dean get out and head into the building. After walking down a hallway, Sam raises his hand to knock on door number 2, only to be greeted by Martin opening it.