Chapter 11

I woke up; my heart is beating rapidly from the horrid dream I had. I see that it's morning and I relax. I shoot my eyes to the clock on the wall and it's 10:13, to be exact. I placed my hand to my neck, I could tell I slept wrong, there was a kink in it. I forgot I healed, I kind of wished I didn't kill Katherine; she was kind to me.

My thoughts of feeding on Katherine were interrupted by a calm heartbeat. It was getting louder and louder, closer and closer. I never had a problem with my hearing before, so I tap my head. I shook it off and got up to go to the bathroom. I turned on the faucet to splash water in my face. And I noticed the water drowned out the sound, so I turned it off, heartbeat. I turned it back on, no heartbeat. 'The hell is up with me?' I tell myself, splashing water in my face. I dried my face, only when I turned the faucet off, the person sounded just on the other side of the wall. I looked into the mirror and my face was similar to that of the image from my dream. My eyes and veins rippled quickly. So I did die, I did turn, and I did have a mutant brother. Surprisingly I wasn't scared, I was more so calm, the heartbeat helped me keep so. Ah, the heart of a strong person I bet. The heart; pumping blood through the thousands of veins and arteries...heaven. "One bite, that's all I'll have, just one." I tell myself, knowing whoever enters my room is going to die. Ugh, why am I acting like this?!

"Anna, are you in there?" Tanya knocked on the bathroom door. "Why'd you go and unhook your IV, you need fluids."

'Oh Tan, you of people had to check on me right now.' I slid down against the door, fighting the urge. I looked at my angled reflection in the mirror and stared at my face. My veins rippled again, I didn't care how horrid I looked, the heartbeat overcame everything else. The demon inside me jeered at the thought of biting into Tanya's neck. "Fuck it." I said, not able to keep myself at bay anymore. I burst out of the bathroom, but couldn't spot Tanya.

"I can smell you!" I snickered with venom. As soon as the sound of foot movement hit the air, my head snapped to the right. I'm now conscious without control. Tanya is crouched along the wall. My predatory gaze met her innocent one and I went in for the kill. I had my mouth open and ready to slam into her neck; but she sprayed some strong type of maze. It burned too much so I stopped in my tracks. I dropped; screaming and writhing on the floor in pure agony. I went to wipe my face and my hands seared and scarred on contact. I felt my face searing just as bad. "What. Is. This?" I managed to spit out, gritting my teeth.

"Vervaine, a natural herb. It's poisonous to vampires, most of them, I mean." Tanya says quickly as she warily moves around me. "Why? How did you know?" I got up and moved to the bathroom and stared in the mirror. My face was scarred and I noticed it healed quickly.

"One, you were going to kill me and I had to protect myself. Two, you are in transition, it still harms you." Tanya stares. "How did you know I was in 'transition'? Also, why do I heal so fast?" I asked walking towards her. "Last night wasn't a dream Anna. You are, well, a hybrid. Er, turning into one." Tanya keeps her distance from me constant. "A hybrid of what?! I'm a mutant vampire? Is that what you're saying?" Aggravated, I step closer to her. I paused realizing my true intentions, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I couldn't help it. I don't want you to be scared of me, and I don't want to hurt you." I moved to her giving her a hug. "It's okay, You'll be fine." Tanya rubs my back, and I start to cry into her. I didn't feel upset, I just needed a good cry. "If I can't control myself; what can I do? I don't want to kill anyone" My face stained with tears. "Hun, Katherine. You mean you don't want to kill anyone else, right? I sent her to you. She had no clue. I'm sorry, but I had to set an example." She gets up and goes to the counter. "What? You knew about me? You knew I was going to kill her? Why? I don't want anyone's blood on my hands." I yelled at her, even though I wasn't upset deep down. "Yes I knew, but you would've died. You needed to heal, and I sent her. I'm not proud of it but I had to balance nature out. Otherwise my ancestors would have taken him from me. It was bound to happen, and I couldn't change your fate if I tried. I'm sorry." Tanya couldn't face me. It made me so mad. I couldn't think of what to say. "What can you do to help?" My mind wanders, ignoring the facts. "I will help in every way possible. I don't want you to worry." She smiles showing me great generosity. "Right now, you need to help yourself and drink this. I'll be back." She tossed me a blood bag. My widened as I replay what she'd just said.