49 - I'm here

The night ended and Anna walked home with them

The night ended and Anna walked home with them. Mike took Mari's hand and Anna just smiled, but didn't comment. It relieved him they could walk up the stairs without seeing any of the others. When Mike followed Mari toward her room. Anna reacted.

"Dad!"

"We're adults. Goodnight, baby girl."

He didn't wait for her to respond and shut the door. Mari put her finger to her mouth. "I think my mother is in the other room."

He just wanted to hold her, because he was tired. He may be crazy, but he was certain they had a lifetime ahead of them. "I love you."

She nuzzled into him. "Mmm."

Her breathing deepened, and he drifted off. He woke when he was hit in the face. For a minute he thought someone was angry he was in Mari's bed. Then he realized it was Mari thrashing around in her sleep. She was whimpering, and he put his arms around her and tried to wake her before she screamed. He was trying to calm her and whispered over and over that she was safe. It brought back memories of that first night as he kissed her along the side of her face. When he felt the dampness on her cheeks, he knew that she had been crying.

"I'm here, baby." He cooed in her ear.

She finally calmed down. "It's his fault. Seeing him brought it all back and ruined our perfect night."

"Nothing is ruined." Mike assured her.

"It was all his fault... the windows and even the fire."

"I always assumed you were home alone." Mike wanted to know the truth but felt anger building.

"No, I was in bed alone. He left the house without me."

"You're telling me that when the fire started he left you asleep. What about the smokes didn't they wake you?"

"It was an old house, and he never replaced the batteries."

"That's criminal. I'm not a violent man, but I feel like I could throw a punch at him."

Mari put her hands on his cheeks. "Let it go. My father felt that way too."

"Did you love him?" Mike was feeling a host of emotions, and anger and jealousy were just two of them.

"I thought I did. We had been together for almost two years. It was all an illusion, because after the fire he didn't want me. I no longer met his expectations. That's why I had to show him my shoulder to ensure he knew I was still deformed."

"Don't say that! Your scars are your badge of courage. You survived and you are strong and beautiful."

"I felt myself going backwards today."

"Is that why you were wearing the hoodie?"

She held on to him tighter. "Yes, but nothing would stop me from going to you. Are you really staying?"