11 - Ohio

Maribelle stepped aside to let Lana in

Maribelle stepped aside to let Lana in. "Who sent you... Heidi or my father?"

Lana sighed. "Mari have you forgotten that I used to visit you at least once a week before I moved to Virginia."

"I'm sorry. I just feel like you're one of them now."

"Honestly, I hardly ever see your father. Occasionally I see Melissa when I visit little Grace. I'm here because I miss you."

Grace was their friend Heidi's baby girl. Heidi was technically Maribelle's stepsister, as well.

"You have your husband now." Lana used to be lonely like her, but Ryan showed up last summer and changed that.

Lana smiled. "I know, but he's with his brother."

Maribelle remembered what it was like to have a guy who put a smile on her face. "I can't believe you married Ryan Harris. Lucinda used to chase after him."

"He told me he couldn't compete with Dougie, who is still a slut."

Maribelle laughed even though her father had blamed him for Lucinda's first pregnancy.

Lana took Maribelle's hand and squeezed it. "You know it's me. You don't need to hide under that hoodie."

Lana had seen her scars, but the hoodie was her armour. She imagined having a conversation with Dr. Freeman and, of course, he would encourage her to take the hood off. When Maribelle looked in the mirror all she saw was her grotesque disfigurement.

"You really are very beautiful."

Maribelle didn't believe her. Lana was just like Maribelle's father, Davis, Melissa and Heidi. They all loved her and lied to be kind.

Lana knew not to push. She had mistakenly done that once last September and Maribelle wouldn't answer her door when Lana came by. Eventually Lana was too persistent and Maribelle gave in.

"Are you still taking in guests?"

She nodded. "I have one this weekend."

"Really! I wouldn't be visiting Maine in March if I hadn't lived here. Poor Ryan, he doesn't like the cold anymore."

"I'm sure you keep him warm," Maribelle teased. Lana's cheeks turned pink which caused Maribelle to laugh. "Why are you visiting in March?"

"To celebrate Ryan's birthday with his family and to give them some news."

Maribelle instantly knew what 'news' meant. "You too! First Heidi now you!" Afraid that she sounded jealous, she added, "Kidding, congrats! So does that mean you'll miss the summer like Heidi did last year?"

"No way! I'm spending the summer floating in my new pool even if Ryan has to help me in and out of my tube. Our baby is being born here. I had a doctor's appointment which went fine, by the way."