You see a future with him; you want a future with him, but will you get it?

Will we get that future we've talked about for months? The one where we can be in love off the battlefield? Maybe so, maybe n-

"L/N!" Pierson snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked at him. "Did you hear me?"

"No, I'm sorry, sir."

"I want you all to search for Daniels and Zussman in the area." Pierson got out of the jeep and ran off with Aiello behind him. "Move your asses!"

I looked straight ahead, the direction Pierson and Aiello had run in, and I saw nothing but vehicles and brush on fire. That made think that the boys could be seriously injured.

"We need to find them before it's too late." I jumped out of the jeep and ran towards the first flaming vehicle, looking for bodies wearing American uniforms.

"L/N! Be careful!" Stiles ran up to me and pulled me away from the fire. I quickly yanked my arm away from him.

My frustration was rising and there was a growing lump in my throat. My chest was growing tighter, making it harder to breathe. I was about ready to fall to the ground and start bawling; I wanted to release the tears that I couldn't while in the jeep.

"Stiles, I don't need you babysitting me like a child! Stop standing around and start looking for Daniels and-"

"Guys! I think Pierson found one of the boys!" Aiello came running up to us.

I took off running in the direction Pierson had gone, not even waiting for the two boys to catch up.

"Wait!" I heard Stiles call out but I continued on running.

I needed to know if both men were okay; I needed to know whether the Krauts had successfully stolen Zussman away or not.

To my surprise, Stiles was quick on my tail and eventually grabbed ahold of my arm.

"Let go, Stiles!"

"No, you have to stop!"

"No! I have to find Zussman!" I tried to pull my arm away.

"I'm sorry I have to do this!" Stiles said before yanking my arm down, sending us both off our balance and rolling to the ground.

"Why would you that?!" I shouted once we came to a stop, quickly getting back up on my feet.

"Are you crazy?" Stiles asked, standing up and breathing heavily. "Storming up to Pierson and Daniels like that is bound to get you in trouble! After all that's happened, you definitely don't need that!"

"Well, that's my problem! Not yours!"

"Forgive me for not wanting my friend to get court-martialed." Stiles held his hands up, taking offense. "Pierson is already threatening to get Daniels out of here and there are only two big ways to do that: kill him or court-martial him."

"Pierson doesn't scare me like he used to."

"Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that he still has power over all of us. If Zussman is gone and you get court-martialed, that knocks your chances to go find him off the table."

"You're right." I let out a sigh. "I'm sorry."

"C'mon, let's keep going." He began to jog forward and I followed behind. I could hear Aiello barely catching up to us, the sound of his footsteps from behind getting closer.

We eventually could see Pierson standing in the distance, his back facing us. He was towering over someone, but I couldn't tell if the person was a German or one of our boys.

"Sergeant!" Stiles called out as we got closer. When we reached him, he got up from being crouched down in front of the person. I looked at the person's face to see it was Daniels.

"Get him out of my face," Pierson ordered before walking away.

"Daniels, where's Zussman? Please tell me he's around here somewhere," I said as Stiles and Aiello picked him up. He looked at me with empty eyes and said nothing.

"He's gone, L/N," Pierson answered and I turned around to look at him.

"It doesn't have to be that way. We can still look for him, Sergeant!" I faced Daniels again. "How long ago did the truck he was in leave? Tell us quick! We can still catch up!"

"Enough, L/N! Unless you want me to send your ass out of this platoon too, I suggest you shut up! We're not looking for him! Now, let's go!" Pierson stormed up to me and grabbed my arm.

"No, fuck you!" I pulled myself from out of his grip and ran away. I could see a turn in the road up ahead as I passed a burning vehicle.

"Grab her!" Pierson shouted, the three men's hurried footsteps pounding behind me.

This time Aiello was the first to grab me. He had his arms wrapped around my torso in a strong grip.

"L/N, please, you're gonna get yourself in trouble," Aiello whispered in my ear.

"I don't care! Let me go! Please, let me go! We have to find him!" I wriggled and squirmed as an attempt to release myself.

Pierson then grabbed me from Aiello and hauled me over his shoulder.

"That's enough, L/N!" Pierson yelled as I pushed against his back with my hands to try making him lose his grip on me.

"No! No! Get your fucking hands off of me! We have to go after him!" I shrieked as I reached my hands out towards the road up ahead.

I began to hit Pierson in the back repeatedly, tears streaming down my face as we got farther away from the road Zussman had been taken down.

"I hate you! Fucking let me go! Please! Let me go! We have to find him! Zussman! No!"

And the night was filled with my screams and cries.

~ ~ ~

Chapter Song: "A Long Way From Texas" composed by Wilbert Roget II (from the CoD: WWII soundtrack)