53 - Y/N L/N

Past Midnight
Early Morning of December 27, 1944
German Airbase, Belgium, Luxembourg

"Where the hell is everybody?" Aiello asked as we came across what would be the runways for the planes.

The runways were covered in supplies put there by the Krauts and some of the things were on fire from the combat that had taken place here.

"I don't know, but I don't like this one bit," Stiles said as we began to walk on the runways.

"Me either, something doesn't feel right. I really hope Zussman and Daniels are okay," I said, slowly beginning to feel like my rising nerves were going to make me sick to my stomach soon.

"Hey, what the hell is going on over there?" Aiello pointed at a truck speeding away, followed by a jeep going after it.

"I may be blind, but I'm pretty sure that was Daniels in the jeep!" Stiles began to run in the direction the vehicles had went.

"Did you see Zussman?" I asked as Aiello and I ran after him.

"I don't think I saw anyone else in the jeep!"

All of a sudden, a jeep came speeding our way and began to drive alongside us. I looked at the driver and realized it was Pierson.

"Get in the jeep now!" he yelled before stopping the vehicle. We immediately stopped running.

"Sergeant, what's goi-"

"SHUT IT, AIELLO! ALL OF YOU! IN! RIGHT FUCKING NOW!"

We quickly obliged and jumped into the jeep. Before our bottoms could even touch our seats, Pierson pressed his foot on the gas pedal and sped away.

"Who are we going after, sir?" Aiello asked as we headed into bumpy terrain.

"Daniels, that's who! The damn guy disobeyed an order!"

"Oh great! What'd the kid do?"

"Went after a truck he was told wasn't a part of the mission! Stole my jeep to do it too!" Pierson paused for a moment. "I've fucking had it with him! He's out of this platoon whether we find him dead or not!"

"Sir, what about Zussman? Did he go with Daniels?" I spoke up this time.

"Zussman was captured by Krauts! The truck Daniels went after has Zussman in it!"

The world fell silent and I sat there looking straight ahead as we continued to drive on the bumpy terrain. My stomach felt empty, but the urge to vomit was still there. I didn't want to believe the words that had left Pierson's mouth; I didn't want to believe a single fucking word.

I wanted to cry and scream, but I could do nothing but sit there and wonder if what I was hearing was real. Is this all just a nightmare? Will I be waking up soon? He and Daniels had just found me not too long ago; How could he be captured?

No, no, this is real, you just don't want to accept the fact that it's happening to you even though you knew it was possible. You knew to fall for him was dangerous at the start but you still let yourself do it. You let yourself grow strong feelings knowing one or both of you could die. Remember what father said? Every soldier stands on death's doorstep. It's just a matter of who will be let in. You knew that but still, you fell and you fell hard.

But wait, be fair. You can't always help who you fall in love with. He treats you well, better than any other man you've been with during your short life of 21 years. He's kind, he's funny, he's always had your back, he's beautiful in your eyes, and just the thought of him has brightened the worst of your days while fighting in this war.