22 - Y/N L/N

April 13, 1944
Fort Devens
Ayer, Massachusetts

"Guess who can legally drink now?" Zussman asked as he walked into our platoon's tent after breakfast. He did a dramatic spin and pointed at himself which made us laugh.

"Don't act like you haven't been doin' it illegally, Zuss. Happy birthday," Aiello offered him a cigarette and he took it hesitantly. It wasn't much but whenever Aiello actually bothers to show some type of emotion, the rest of the boys and I can't help but look at each other with surprise. With Aiello not being much of a sharer, it was no wonder seeing Zussman so hesitant.

I had talked to Sergeant Miller about the cake this morning and he said he would have it after dinner. That was perfect since we normally have the evenings to ourselves.

Zussman had received some gifts from home and I couldn't help but love seeing him smile as he opened them up. He caught me staring at him a few times, but would always just give me a small smile.

I had been the first to wish him a happy birthday this morning. He looked very happy to see that I remembered his birthday. I care about him and I could tell not being home for his birthday hurt him a bit. I hoped the cake Sergeant Miller was helping me get would make him feel less homesick.

I was reading on my bed while Aiello, Zussman, and Daniels discussed their favorite records since Zussman's mother had sent him a new record for his birthday. It was good to see them getting along.

"I think my Ma forgot that I couldn't bring a record player with me, but I love her nonetheless," Zussman said while examining the record in his hand.

When I went to drink from my canteen, I realized it was empty. I then got up and left the tent to go refill it.

"Wait for me, L/N!" I heard Stiles yell from behind me. He had his canteen in his hand. I stopped and let him catch up to me.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, slightly concerned. He seemed a bit panicked.

"No, nothing's wrong," he quickly told me as we walked together. I glanced at him and shook off the concern I had as we arrived at the area where we could fill up our canteens.

Stiles is a pretty good friend to talk to. I enjoy talking about serious topics with him because he has a lot to say. We tend to get into debates and most of the time we agree on a lot of things. He also has a nice taste in books and lets me borrow the books he's finished.

We both filled our canteens and started heading back to our platoon's tent. I was taking a drink from my canteen when Stiles stuttered out, "I-is there s-something going on between you and Zussman?"

I spit out the water I had in my mouth and started to choke. Stiles' eyes widened and he quickly started to pat my back.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" he asked when I finally stopped choking.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What makes you think that about Zussman and me?"

"Oh, c'mon! The way you two look at each other makes it quite obvious. It might seem like my mind is somewhere else, but it wasn't hard to notice whatever's going on between you two," he laughed.

"No, there's nothing going on between us," I answered quickly, "and anyways, look at where we're headed soon, Stiles! Falling in love isn't exactly a good idea."

"From looking at you both, I feel like you two are good for each other, but forget I said anything. Sorry for assuming, but I was just curious," Stiles said as we arrived at the tent.

"Don't worry about it," I told him as I considered what he had said about Zussman and me being good for each other.

All of a sudden, he stopped me before we walked into the tent.