4 - Y/N L/N

December 25, 1942
Christmas Day

Christmas had finally arrived and I was helping my mother make Christmas dinner. She usually loves to make a big feast, but because of the war, a lot of food is rationed which doesn't give us much to eat. The food rations are at least a lot more than what we were given during the Depression, so thankfully, we're still able to make a pretty good meal.

Christmas just doesn't feel the same this year. Our family usually comes together on Christmas, but no one really bothered to send letters and invite one another this year. I can only assume a lot of the men in my family aren't home for Christmas this year because of the draft.

Wayne was going to be joining us for Christmas dinner at least which had me feeling excited. We had been together for about five months now and thankfully he still hasn't been chosen by the draft. I really care about him and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it when the time does come for him to leave.

My father still hasn't been drafted either. It's a big worry of mine because losing him would hurt us a lot. I don't know what we would do without him. He's such a big help towards our family, always working hard down at a nearby farm to make sure we can keep a roof over our heads.

I tried my best to push my worrying away since it was Christmas and I was lucky enough to have my family still together and my lover around. I continued to put most of my focus on making sure the apple pie I was working on came out great. As I was putting the apple pie into the oven, my mother asked me a question which I hadn't put much thought into until now.

"So about Wayne. Do you think he'd make a good husband?"

It took me a while to respond since it was a question that I felt couldn't be answered so quickly. I really like Wayne and he's very sweet to me. Maybe I wouldn't mind marrying him if he ever asked me to.

"I haven't really thought about it, but he's a great man and he seems to me like he'd make a good husband," I responded with a little shrug of my shoulders.

"Well, I hope you two work out. He seems like a great man," she said and then began to laugh. "Do I hear wedding bells?"

"Oh gosh, mother," I rolled my eyes and gave her a playful tap on the arm.

When we finished making dinner, we quickly set the table and started placing the food on it. The food looked and smelled great. We had mashed potatoes, green beans, some bread and butter, and an apple pie. We also had a reasonably sized chicken which we felt lucky to have gotten since it isn't easy to buy meat with the current food rations.

A knock was heard and I smoothed out my red dress as I walked on over to the door. When I opened the door, Wayne was standing on the porch in formal attire, looking handsome as always. He was holding some flowers and a couple of presents in his hands.

"Oh, look at you! You're a beauty," he said and gave me a quick kiss on the lips.

"Gross," I heard my little brother mumble, followed by my mother shushing him. I wanted to burst into laughter but I managed to contain myself.

Wayne set down the presents by the Christmas tree and walked on over to my parents. He stood up straight and greeted my father.

"Merry Christmas, sir. Thank you for having me," he said as he shook my father's hand. He then smiled at my mother and handed her the flowers in his hand.

"Thank you as well, Mrs. L/N. The food smells great!"

"Oh, these are lovely! And well, thanks to Y/N helping me in the kitchen, the food was finished on time. Let's all go take a seat and enjoy!" my mother said and quickly went to go put the flowers into a vase.