22.2

《Graduation》

¤

Lukkas, Lilly, and Sin are huddled in the far corner of the Inner Chamber, inches from the raised dais and the Council's ten gleaming thrones, each donning their graduation robes.

The twins look ethereal - like royal ghosts, with their hair in perfect ringlets that frame thin, porcelain faces. There's some added color to Lilly's cheeks - a little blush perhaps, that matches the pink spread on her lips. Lukkas glances around the room as he shuffles from foot to foot. His polished loafers click against the tile which echo in the massive space. Sin, however, is as impassive as ever, though when he notices me, he steps away from the dais and heads my way.

The twins take notice too, and somehow, I manage to conjure a smile from somewhere deep down. They return the gesture with one of their own, Lukkas' grin accompanied by the  mouthing of the word, 'cockroach.' I tap my pants' pocket, where I'd placed the hologram-producing dot earlier which he responds to with an understanding nod.

"So," Sin says, striding up to me. He nods at my tattered shirt and torn jeans, all signs I'd chosen the road less traveled apparently. "That's not all that surprising."

I tug on my shirt, fingers affixing themselves in the fabric. Of course, my choice would be obvious, given how things went down in this room seven days ago.

I glance up at him - big and intimidating, stuffed into a white robe that seemed three feet of fabric too little. I nod toward the sliver of black sock peeking out between the robe and his shoes. "Didn't have enough fabric to dress you properly?"

He snorts. "Guess they can't be prepared for everything." Though I wouldn't expect him to care about anything, especially his appearance, Sin tugs on the robe as if coercing it to grow a few inches longer.

"So," he says, knitting his eyebrows together. He shifts from one foot to the other, glancing at the floor before looking at me again. "You going to hate those of us graduating?"

I smile and shake my head. It felt good, this time around, not forcing myself to grin. "No." I shrug. "We all have our reasons for what we chose."

Sin nods, a few bangs falling in front of his eyes. "And your reason was--"

"Two-fold," I say before he has the chance to finish his sentence. "Nol was a reason sure," I say. Without meaning to, my eyes dart to the part of the room where I'd been standing the day Nol was killed. His blood had been mopped up, the tile bleached. Everything was as pretty as a picture. At least when Della had killed Dieter, she'd left his blood. She'd said it served as a reminder of what being a traitorous bastard got you in the Collective, but it also reminded people that you had existed, and for one reason or another had violently left the world. Turning away from the spot, I continue, "But I also want to give Dove a big 'fuck you,'" broadening my smile, I pump my fist in the air, "and what better way than to do exactly what he doesn't want me to do?"

Sin furrows his brow. "But," he looks side to side. "Expulsion means--"

"--dying." I gulp. Or, it could mean sanctuary. I had to try to make the latter come true. Standing on my tip-toes, I squeeze Sin's shoulder much as it was like trying to squeeze water from a bag of rocks. "Wouldn't be the first time I've faced death."

"This time death isn't just one of many outcomes," he whips around on me which almost knocks me off balance. I stumble, blinking back my surprise. "It's guaranteed."

I swallow and feel the smile slip from my lips. Sin wasn't telling me anything I already didn't know, though I didn't understand why he was adamantly shoving my demise in my face.