The Fallen Warrior

King Arthur battered and bloody limped across the battlefield, his tired and bedraggled form betraying the fact though the battle was won, it could have been the other outcome too. They were victorious with a hair's breath away from death. Snatched victory from the jaws of Hades.

His best friend- Lancelot and finest knight the kingdom had ever known, lay cold and dead in the battlefield's rubble. Arthur's tears just wouldn't stop. He was King, his almost half-army was wiped out and yet he was crying over a fallen knight, a soldier to the Kingdom of Wales. He was bowing his head in respect to the bravest soldier and out of the corner of his left eye; he saw something half-hidden by Lancelot's corpse. It was twinkling like the light of the sun and he knew he had discovered a treasure. So, this was what all the battles, the war was all about? This was what the enemies were fighting for? This ground is a freaking diamond mine and the one who has power over this place, rules the world. Now I get it...why Lancelot was so insistent on fighting for this place. Oh, my friend! I wish you had clearly told me what the matter was. On second thoughts, he had alerted me of a spy-invasion at our palace, so maybe he just wanted me to figure out everything by myself. I remember him telling me, it'll all make sense, Arthur. Trust me."

On inspecting his body further, Arthur notices his tight fist. He opens it with much difficulty and uncovers a vial buried in his palm. Blurry words of Lancelot strike his mind. "When you search my dead body, You'll find a vial in my palm, Arthur. It contains nectarius livetantumor the nectar of life. A mage had given it to me in case of death. Break open the vial and force the contents down my throat. Don't think, Arthur. Just do it and I'll be grateful to you, forever!"

"Yes, I will do it, my friend. For you."With broken hands, he fumbles to break open the seal with his teeth. His hand around his neck, he gently lifts his body so as not cause it pain and squeezes the vial's contents into Lancelot's mouth. "I did it, Lancelot. Just as you had asked me to do." Wipes a stray tear from his eye as he tries to console himself. "Warriors don't die, they are eternal. I'll miss you!" 

"True that, Arthur. Now, what were you saying something about missing me?"

"You are alive! How di—what happened?"

"A miracle happened. On a serious note, 'tis the vial, my King."

"We renew our hope with you by our side, Lancelot. We have nothing to fear when all those we love are near. March away to where the shadows play. Up and away!"