39 | The Harvest

The whole pack watches as Rebekah and Lexi walk through the old New Orleans cemetery. They walk with a large umbrella above their heads as rain pours from the dark sky; Rebekah has an arm wrapped around Lexi.

"I hate this," Lexi says when she stops. "It feels like we're playing a bloody game, and I've had enough of those."

Rebekah sighs, moving so the umbrella covers Lexi's head. "What do you want me to do, Lexi?" She asks. "No one can save her." Lexi clenches her jaw. "This is the only way to save the city, and you know it."

"The Ancestors want her dead," Lexi says. "and we just added one of the most powerful witches that has ever lived to their ranks. Do you understand what we just did? Do you understand how dangerous the witches are now? They have our mother on their side."

Rebekah shakes her head. "We did what had to be done. We have to hope that Esther does not cause any trouble. We have to complete the Harvest or Davina will destroy the city without meaning to. It is the only option."

As she purses her lips, Lexi sighs. "We are putting our faith in Sophie Devereaux, a witch who has done nothing but lie—"

"You think I want to do this?" Rebekah exclaims. "We are putting a sixteen-year-old girl to death in the hopes that dead witches will revive her. It is the only choice left."

Lexi stares at her sister for a moment longer before she walks off, shaking her head in the rain. Rebekah follows with a sigh, leaving the pack to jog after them.

"Please tell me this is a joke," Kira whispers. "Davina's not actually going to die, is she?" No one answers her.

Lexi and Rebekah stop beside their brothers and Hayley standing before an altar with Sophie Devereaux on top, holding a ceremonial knife. Lexi steps up to Hayley, holding the woman's hand tightly as flames erupt from across the cemetery.

"Fire," Sophie breaths.

Marcel steps out from around the corner with Davina in his arms. She shakes in his grasp as fire lights their path to the alter. Marcel sets Davina down before Sophie before he steps away, glaring at the Mikaelsons.

Sophie heats up the knife over a lit torch before turning to Davina. "Do you believe in the Harvest?" She asks, lightning striking in the distance.

Davina nods hesitantly. "I believe."

Sophie slits the girl's throat.

Lexi shuts her eyes tightly, letting Hayley gasp and turn into her embrace. She holds the crying wolf against her body and holds the back of her head to keep her from looking back. Lexi can hear Davina's heartbeat stop and smell her blood now pungent in the air.

The rain stops and the fire dissipates.

"After the Harvest comes the Reaping," Sophie says loudly though her voice shakes. Lexi lets Hayley go and opens her eyes to find a white sheet over Davina's body. "Their sacrifices made and accepted. We call upon our Elders to resurrect the chosen ones."

Everyone looks towards the body; nothing happens.

Sophie clears her throat. "We call upon our Elders to resurrect our chosen ones."

The body does not move.

"Resurrect your chosen ones." Tears gather in the witch's eyes. "Please? I beg..." Sophie falls to her knees, the ceremonial knife clattering to the concrete. She sobs over the body and clutches at the white sheet.

Marcel is the first to leave, speeding away with a look of pure hatred. Lexi leaves next; she takes a few steps back before walking away, unwilling to let Rebekah stop her.