13 | Perfectly Capable

The pack finds Lexi locked in an old cell with her skin pale and her eyes closed. She coughs in the vervain-filled air, resting her head against the wooden walls surrounding her. Rebekah lies in a cell beside her's: Stefan is in front with a passed out Elena beside him.

As Elena groans awake, Rebekah rolls her eyes. "I thought I killed you."

"Where am I?" Elena mutters, holding her head. Lexi opens an eye to see Elena's pale skin under the florescent light.

"They thought you were a vampire," Lexi replies, closing her eyes once more. "So they stuck you in here with us."

"Where's Stefan?"

Stefan coughs, his head pressed against the bars. "Elena, I'm right here. Are you ok?"

"Stefan—" She tries to pull herself up but falls back to her knees. "I didn't feed."

Lexi laughs, her voice wicked and cruel. "Ahh, I see what's going on here." She leans forward on her elbows, meeting Elena's gaze. "You died with vampire blood in your system, and you didn't feed. Now, you're locked up in here without a drop of human blood in sight. That is a problem."

Stefan glares at her. "Just ignore her."

"Has anyone done the math or shall I?" Rebekah asks.

Lexi hums to herself. "I'd say she's got less than three hours to feed before we get to watch her die." She looks at her sister. "Our day just got a whole lot better."

Elena rests against the cell, her body too tired to move. Soon enough, Lexi straightens her back, looking around before she spots what she feels in Elena's cell. "Dark magic," she whispers as something pulls Elena up.

She comes crumbling down a second later.

"Might want to give up, Bonnie!" Lexi yells into the oblivion. "You can't save her."

"What are you doing?" Rebekah asks, her words slurred together. "Stop shouting."

Lexi narrows her eyes at the emptiness in the cell. Her eyes glow white. "Nature maintains a balance," she whispers. "You cannot save her."

Eventually, night falls outside of the cell. Lexi glances up at the moon, her skin itching to be shed. "Sister, what do you think they'd do if they found a wolf in here?" Lexi chuckles. "Would they kill me or let me go?"

Rebekah shakes her head. "What good would it do?"

"Nothing."

Elena pulls herself up, calling out Stefan's name. "I'm out of time," she says. "I need blood. I'm dying."

Stefan grabs onto the bars. "Hey!" He shouts, pressing his face against the cool bars. "Anyone! Hey!"

"Will you shut up?" Rebekah snaps.

"You think we're afraid of you?!"

A man holding a large gun walks in with a glare on his face. He stands in front of Stefan's cell, aiming his gun. "You want more vervain? Keep it down."

"Listen to me. Elena's gonna die if you don't let her out of here."

The man glances down at Elena, her skin greying. "Not my problem.

"She's innocent. Let her out." Lexi scoffs and shakes her head as Stefan rushes the bars. "Let her out!"

The man shoots.

Stefan only gets back up. "I said, let her out!"

The man shoots once more, leaving Stefan groaning on the floor. Rebekah narrows her eyes at the vampire as the man walks out. Lexi rolls her eyes. "Serves him right," she mutters, standing and throwing her arms over the bars of the cell.