"Maybe some day." A blush rose to Gerard's cheeks and he got up, wandering over to the book shelf to try and hide it. Though he tapped Frank lightly on the nose before he did.

"Oh," Gerard spoke up as he grabbed a text book off the shelf. "I'm sorry I can't stay tonight after school."

"Aww," he frowned, mood plummeting. "Why?"

Taking a deep breath, he prepared himself for a numerous amount of various outcomes. "Don't make a big deal out of this. . . But I'm going out for my birthday."

"Why didn't you tell me!" Frank's eyes widened, jumping up, almost scaring Gerard in to thinking he was about to yell at him. "Happy birthday!" He rushed over, trapping Gerard in a tight hug so hard that they stumbled in to the book shelf.

Letting out the cutest giggle, Gerard wrapped his arms around Frank's waist, contently resting his chin on his shoulder. "Thank you."

"I'm buying you something. No arguing." Frank said sternly.

"No, Frankie, you don't have to."

"Tough, I am."

"No-" Gerard began, but was cut off when Frank pulled back and put his finger over Gerard's lips.

"I said no arguing." He raised his eyebrows, earning a deadpan glare. Gerard opened his mouth to speak, though Frank shook his head, sending him a challenging look and Gerard shut his mouth obediently. "I said no."

Realising they were up close and personal, Franck cleared his throat and stepped back. "Where're you going?"

Blinking, Gerard seemed to have lost his thoughts. "Wh-what?"

"For your birthday; where are you going?"

His eyes brightened. "My parents paid for us to travel to New York, so I get to see Mikey and the city."

"That sounds rad." Then he furrowed his brows, "Who's Mikey?"

"My brother." Gerard replied, shuffling back to his desk to complete the time table for when substitute teachers will need to fill in for the lessons while he's not there.

"Oh, right." Frank nodded. "I think you mentioned him a few weeks ago."

"Did I?" Gerard scratched the back of his neck. "Sorry, I have the worst memory."

"That makes two of us." He shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I forget there's still stuff we don't know about each other sometimes."

"Of course there is." Gerard chuckled. "Would you really want to know every thing about me? It's a lot and it's not pretty."

"Yes." Frank didn't miss a beat, wearing a dead serious expression. Obviously he wanted to know all the little details about him. He cracked a smile. "Why not?"

"Hmph." Gerard huffed, resting his head in his hands. "You'd get bored. I'm really not that interesting."

"You are to me." He blurted without thinking. He just ached to let him know how head over heels he was for him. "I-I mean. . ."

Gerard gave him the most puzzled glances while he fumbled for an answer.

"I mean, you've got to be if you're already doing so much at age twenty."

"Twenty one now." He pointed out, a smug smile on his dainty face.

"Shhh," Frank scowled playfully. "Don't make me come over there and shut you up."

"We wouldn't want that, now, would we?" A smirk tugged at his lips, once again sending Frank's mind in to over drive.

"I think you're very talented and that if I know you can play a bit of guitar, sing, and don't you dare say you can't because you can, dye your hair crazy colours, and are already the kindest fucking man I know, you can't be that boring." He laughed drily. "I'm most likely the boring one here."

"You think that about me?" Gerard gazed at him sadly, forgetting his work as he got up, suddenly pulling Frank in to another hug. He was astounded. "Thank you. You're. . . You're so sweet."

Sighing happily, Frank buried his head in Gerard's chest, listening to his heartbeat. "You're very welcome, I guess?"

"Also, Frankie?"

"Yeah?"

"You're not boring to me at all."

-

New fucking York. The prettiest place when all the lights were lit up and the buildings reached in to the black sky. Staring up at it was a little disorientating, but Gerard adored it. He loved lights and dark nights.

Thankfully, because Gerard was skint, his parents had covered the ride costs, and even Bert was paid for to come along, despite Mikey's protests. However, Bert seemed to get along with his parents more than he did his brother.

So far, he'd had been in one of the happiest moods Gerard had seen him in all year. He was excited for Gerard as he knew he had always wanted to visit New York.

Currently, they were exploring the city together, mostly sticking to streets near Mikey and Ray's apartment so they didn't get lost or stray too far this deep in to the night. Despite the late hour, there were still loads of cars racing past and other various types of pedestrians. Even at night, the city was alive and buzzing.

Obviously, Gerard had spent as much time as he could with Mikey as their hours were limited and he didn't know when he'd be able to ride out to New York again. Plus he didn't think Mikey had the money to go to Jersey either.

It'd been great catching up with Ray too. The apprenticeship was going well, though they weren't exactly raking in the money. Mikey had done as Gerard suggested a while back and had taken a small loan from their parents to keep the bills paid. However the lack of stable working hours and stress seemed to be taking more of a toll on Mikey than anyone would have liked. He appeared exhausted, as did Ray. Regardless the fact New York probably wasn't the best place, they loved living there.

"Are you okay?" Gerard asked, turning to Mikey. Their parents, Ray and Bert were walking ahead of them.

"What?" Mikey blinked, then shrugged, which wasn't very visible as the leather jacket he was wearing made him blend in to the shadows. "Yeah, I'm just getting over a cold."

"Are you sure?"

"Totally, dude, chill out." He smiled, whacking Gerard's arm playfully. He didn't want yet another person badgering him about his health, though he knew they did it because they cared.

They came to a busy crossing, mad car drivers zooming past to only get stopped by traffic lights a few hundred yards down the road. Speeding was pretty pointless in a city.

Just as they got to the edge of the pavement, out of habit, Mikey grabbed Gerard's hand and pulled him back.

Huffing, Gerard sent him a deadpan glare. "Really?"

"Yes."

"I'm fine, Mikes." He sighed, staring down at the black concrete. He could vaguely hear everyone else in the distance.

"Maybe, but you're still my brother and it's my job to look after you."

"I-"

Mikey cut him off with a piercing gaze. "Whether it's necessary or not."

[Published 2 January 2020]