Whoever it was set every alarm bell that could be set off.  Something inside of her told her to run.  To run, and to keep running. However, couldn't run even if she tried.  Her limbs were too frozen. 

Heart hammering out of her chest, she prayed, whoever it was, passed her and it was her overactive imagination making her believe the worst. 

However difficult it was, she walked faster, shoving her hands into the ripped pockets of the jacket and bowed her head.  Hoping, praying, she would be left alone and ignored.  But the tight knot in her stomach kept alerting her of danger. 

Without warning, she was gripped by the shoulder and turned, nearly knocking the breath out of her. 

She screamed.

It pierced the air, slicing through the silent night that it made her own eardrums ring.  Her assailant, caught by surprise, releases her suddenly.  She quickly shoved at his chest, making him nearly slip on his feet and ran as fast as her legs could manage. 

However, quickly, she was tackled from behind and fell, landing flat on her face, her teeth grazing the bottom of her lip. 

"You little bitch!"  The stranger spat in her ear.  "Trying to run from me? And all I wanted was to have a little fun!"

"Leave me alone!"  She cried, kicking, bucking and straining against the heavy body atop of her. 

She was flipped around, now on her back.  The man's bad breath coated her face and she cringed in disgust turning her face to the side. 

"My God, you reek!"  He says to her, pulling up and straddling her.  "Nothing a good bath couldn't fix.  Let's get you cleaned up and ready, shall we?"

He grips the front of her jacket and hauls her on to her feet.  Imbalanced, she nearly trips only to be steadied and dragged by the arm.  Trying desperately to yank her arm free, she kept slipping, the soles of her worn out shoes offering no traction on the slick streets. 

"Let me go!"

With her free arm, she pounds her assailants back with a closed fist, crying while struggling to free herself. 

"Stop it!"  The man hissed, turning to face her, his nasty breath in her face. 

"No!"  She screams in his face and using her free arm, she closes her fist and attempts to punch him. 

Her breathing was ragged, adrenaline and fear twisting through her stomach.

Dodging her petty attempt swiftly he backhands her across the face.  Stars flash across her vision and her head whips sharply to the side.  Her arm is released as she free falls to her side.  Her hip hits the concrete hard, pain radiating down her leg.   She squeezed her eyes shut, as her elbow was wedged between the hard fall of her body and the ground.  

Her entire side spasmed in agony.

Her panicked breaths fogged before her.   Cold air burned her throat and filled her lungs that she felt her chest stiffen in shock. 

She is then dragged by the leg, as if she were a heavy bag of garbage that was too heavy to carry.  Too dazed and winded with too much pain keeping her anchored, she slid over the snow, and dragged to the nearest and darkest ally. 

Why did life have to constantly do this to her? 

She was forced to live on the streets like some street rat.  She didn't ask for any of this.  She didn't ask to live to only find life had more in store for her to suffer through. 

Suddenly hauled by the front of her jacket and slammed into what felt like a brick wall, her head hit the wall violently, and her spine screamed in agony.  Her entire body felt like it was beaten to death.  Her attacker was breathing heavily as far as she could see past the stars clouding her vision.