Chapter 17: You Can't Save Everyone

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

...And falling like an anvil, slamming into the ground with a devastating electric shockwave that (Y/N) was forced to take the full impact of, sending him flying.

Crashing into a car, (Y/N) shakily got up, spitting out blood. Raising his hand, he kicking himself off the car, twisting his body in midair and starting to fire a barrage of smoke shots at Cole, covering the street in a thick black smoke. Cole could barely breath, coughing and trying to get out of the smoke cloud by jumping for an electrical wire, but (Y/N) dashed out of the cloud, his body almost completely made of smoke, and dragged Cole back down into the cloud with him.

Zipping past Cole left and right, front and back, (Y/N) attacked with hit and run tactics from within the cloud, Cole getting more worn down as time went on by the many strikes of (Y/N)'s chain. In an act of desperation, Cole threw down a small condensed ball of electricity, and crouched down, the ball exploding like a grenade, splitting the cloud open and giving himself room to breathe.

(Y/N) stepped out of the cloud, continuing his way to the location that Izumi had sent him, cracking a glow stick and switching back to neon, running up the sides of buildings, even through some, and through alleyways. In the distance, he saw a massive blast of blue fire, but he couldn't investigate at that time. He was being chased by Cole. Again.

Cole shot down at (Y/N) from the rooftops, his arms covered in cuts, face covered in soot, and his clothes torn, but still he pursued (Y/N), the surge of energy that was powering his will to fight starting falter.

(Y/N) ran up the side of the building Cole was on, the location Izumi sent just a few buildings away. The two just stared at each other, neither moving, knowing that the first one to try would end up being the one to fall. Fires were burning, some buildings around them crumbling in places, the wind fiercely blowing, as if trying to push the two off the building, but to the two, it was completely silent. And that silence was only broken by one thing.

A winged Nomu carrying Izumi into the sky.

(Y/N) couldn't move for a moment seeing this, but when he did, he broke the concrete of the roof with his first step, completely blocking out Cole. Cole however...

In that instance, in those crucial moments, his body...moved-No. his body ran. It ran, not to chase after (Y/N) or to run away to recover. It ran on instinct. It ran...HE ran...to save. For a few moments, those precious moments...he wasn't Cole Macgrath, The infamous...

He was...Cole Macgrath. The vigilante.

The hero.

(Y/N) jumped onto a building, just as the Nomu's wings stopped flapping for some reason. Time seemed to slow around him as he lifted his hand, shooting a high precision neon shot, aimed straight for the Nomu's head. What confused him was...stain leaping up behind the Nomu...

And a red lightning bolt intertwining with his neon blast, the shot piercing straight through the Nomu's head as stain stabbed into the Nomu grabbing Izumi and saving her from falling to the ground.

(Y/N) turned to his side, seeing Cole a building over, his arm outstretched like his, arcs of red lightning jumping in between his fingers and up his arm. The two stared at each other for barely a second, yet it felt like an eternity for both of them...and Cole jumped into an alley. (Y/N) let him go, a wordless, albeit confused, thank you.

A thank you...to his best friend. To his brother.

———————
(Y/N) POV
———————

Jumping down from the building and hiding in the alley to the side of stain and Izumi, I peek out and see...