Level 2

You made it back to your dorm, and finished all your packing successfully. Although it was lonely without your roommate there to see you off, you were happy to be getting things done. Now, your bags were huddled next to your door, and you just had to take one look into your room before stepping out for the semester.

You meet up with your parent, who had been warming up the car outside your dorm. They smiled, and unlocked the door. When you step in, they engulf you in a hug.

"Oh, (Nickname), it's so great to see my baby again!" They pull away, and kiss your forehead.

"I missed you too, (parental formality), but can we go home now?" You laugh, and sit back into the chair. They nod, and off you go.

Although your ride home was merely half an hour, you couldn't help but begin to feel boredom ten minutes into your ride. The radio was on, but it didn't please you enough. You reach out to turn the channel, but yelp and pull back. Did you just get shocked, again? You glance in confusion at the touchscreen, while your parent asks what's wrong. You mumble "nothing" while reaching out to touch it again. Just before your hand reaches the screen, you watch green pixelations manifest from the bottom left corner. You pull back again, and feel the car jump a bit. You look at your parent, but they seem oddly unfazed. What was going on?

"(Parental formality), what just happened?"

"What do you mean? The little jump from the car? Oh, that's just a rock I couldn't swerve around." You hum, but glance warily at the screen. It had normalized itself, the bright electronic hue of the song title dancing across the screen.

Resting your head on the window, you stare out until your house came into view. You feel a soft, comfortable smile pull at the corners of your mouth. Home. As soon as the car was parked, you were already jumping out and grabbing your things. It felt amazing to finally walk around without shoes or worry about any other strangers in your house. You run upstairs after greeting your parent, eager to run to your room. The moment you opened your door, you felt relief run through you. Finally, a stable, non-creaky bed. You jump onto the bed, leaving your bags at your door. A content sigh rushes out your lips, and you close your eyes. This felt so nice, and you just couldn't wait to spend the month here.

"...is getting lonely..." Your eyes snap open. Who said that? It sounded staticky, and gave you immediate chills. You prop yourself up on your elbows, and look around, but nobody was there. In the distance, you also hear your mom calling for dinner. The voice must've been your imagination, then. Right?