57 - The Stationary Cupboard

Here they were, back in the graveyard.

Draco watched as his son knelt by Astoria's grave, placing red carnations against the headstone.

His heart ached for Scorpius. He missed his mother so much that it hurt Draco to see. He knew and understood the pain of what it was like to suffer such a loss.

And then there was his other son who recklessly calls his own mother a whore. His blood boiled just thinking about that kid. How could he have fathered such two different boys? Scorpius and Albus were like chalk and cheese.

Would things have been different if he'd been around to help Etta raise him? Guilt clawed at him when he recalled what she had said about being lonely. He had stuffed up so many people's lives and he absolutely hated himself for it.

His phone vibrated in his pocket. Draco chose to ignore it, feeling it disrespectful to answer it at such a time. But then it went again and again, and Draco could almost feel the urgency of its tone.

Sliding it out of his pocket, his heart went at seeing Etta's name flash across the screen. She would not be ringing if it were not urgent.

Scorpius looked up enquiringly. "Is everything okay, Dad?"

"It's Etta," Draco said apologetically, "I think something might be wrong."

"Answer it, Dad. I don't mind."

Draco gave his son a swift grateful smile as he pressed the accept button and placed the phone against his ear. "Etta?"

But instead of the sweet, melodic tones that he had been expecting, his ear was assaulted with loud, angry, upset bellows, causing Draco to flinch.

"WHERE IS SHE? I KNOW MY MUM IS WITH YOU, ISN'T SHE?"

"Albus, calm down," Draco said at once, trying to placate his angry son. "I promise you; I haven't seen your mother since yesterday-"

"LIAR!" Albus screamed, cutting him off. "I HATE YOU! WE WERE FINE UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG AND NOW YOU'VE STOLEN HER AWAY FROM ME!"

"That's not true, Al," Draco said, trying to keep his voice steady and calm. "Your mother loves you very much. You come first with her; you always do. And I can assure you she is not here, it's just me and Scorp."

Silence. At first Draco thought he'd hung up, but then he could hear laboured breathing on the other end. "Al?"

"She- she said she wouldn't be long... but it's been two hours and she's left her phone..."

As Albus tailed off, Draco was alarmed to detect a note of genuine panic in his voice. And more than that, he was shocked to discover he suddenly had an overwhelming feeling of compassion for this boy who was clearly reaching out for help.

"Albus," Draco said sternly, "where are you, exactly?"

"In Mum's o-office," he said, his voice now breathless and strained. "She had all this ammo and stuff. She said she was just going out to get stationary."

A cold fear began to trickle down Draco's spine. He glanced over at Scorpius who had since straightened up, his face frowning in concern. "Okay, just stay put, I'll be there as soon as I can."

He hung up without waiting for a reply, looking apologetically at Scorpius.

"It's Albus," he explained unnecessarily, "he's worried about Etta."

"It's okay," Scorpius said quickly, "we should go. If Albus needs us..."

Draco had never been more grateful for Scorpius's kind, understanding nature. Holding out his arm, his son stepped forward and linked it in his.