15 - The Babysitter

Scorpius's two weeks quickly came to an end and, when the morning of the day of his departure came, I realised that I was going to miss his presence in our home very much.

The thought of it being just Albus and me again made me feel somewhat gloomy. He was treating me as though I was a burden on his life; an annoying inconvenience, if you will. Where Scorpius was sweet, kind and friendly, Albus was grumpy, rude and antagonistic.

To mark the occasion of Scorpius's final morning, I made a special breakfast, much to Scorpius's delight (and Albus's disgust).

"Waffles, mint!" Scorpius exclaimed, gleefully helping himself to a big plate of syrupy waffles topped with strawberries.

My heart swelled as I watched him tuck into my lovingly prepared spread.

"Can't I just have toast?"

My eyes flicked to Albus who was sat with his arms crossed, wearing his usual scowl. I was shocked at the amount of hostility in his eyes.

"Fine." I couldn't be bothered to argue. "You know where the toaster is."

Noisily flinging his chair back, Albus stropped over to the bread bin.

"What are your plans for your last day?" I asked, smiling back at Scorpius who was buoyantly licking his fingers. "Your father won't be arriving until this evening, so you've got plenty of time."

"Thought we'd just play the X-Box." Scorpius shrugged, pouring himself some orange juice that I had thoughtfully lain out on the table.

"Oh, Albus," I sighed, turning my head disdainfully towards my son who was huffily banging open cupboard doors, no doubt looking for his precious marmite, "do something more exciting. It's a beautiful day, why not go down to the river or take a couple of broomsticks to the paddock?"

"I told you, we don't like Quidditch," he glared at me just as the toaster pinged.

"I didn't say play Quidditch, just go and have a fly around."

"It's what you meant though, isn't it? But what's the point? It's not like I can compete with you; the Chosen One." He threw his untouched toast down onto the side and stormed over towards the door.

"What's got into you, Albus?"

"Nothing."

He slammed the door behind him, leaving Scorpius and I to exchange a bewildered glance.

*****

I was in the process of applying my signature red lipstick when the doorbell went.

"Albus!" I called loudly from my bedroom. "Can you let Scorp's father in, please?"

Finishing off my lips, I quickly stepped back from the mirror and checked out my reflection. Not bad, I thought, smoothing my hand down my red dress which clung in all the right places, nicely showing off my curves.

Draco's eyes widened as I descended the stairs. He was standing alone in the front doorway. Albus had evidently just opened the door and walked off without inviting him through.

"You know, you didn't have to make the effort," he drawled, a smirk beginning to play at his lips.

"Oh, don't worry, it's not for you," I smiled, secretly thrilled at the effect I was having on him. "If you must know, I'm about to go out."

His smirk faltered and then dropped. "Out? Where?"

"Oh, just a date." I said casually, walking past him as I headed towards the sitting room.