48 - Stag Nation

"You know, I can't believe I'm saying this, but he's only looking out for you."

I glanced up from my breakfast, which I had barely touched. Draco was sitting across from me, watching me carefully over the top of his coffee.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, wrinkling my nose.

"Weasley," he drawled, lowering his cup, "he cares about you a lot. It's obvious."

"Well, we've been best friends since day dot," I shrugged morosely, "but he still can be an obnoxious twat."

"I remember, and I also remember you turning down my offer of friendship to stick up for him." Draco reached across the table, taking my hand in his. "Don't throw away years of friendship for the likes of me. I made bad choices; he's seen me hurt you over and over again, and he's always been there to pick up the pieces. It's going to take time, Etta."

I sighed heavily, entwining my fingers in his.

"Why does this all have to be so fucking hard?!" I groaned, pushing my plate aside.

Draco chuckled softly under his breath, his eyes glinting into mine.

"Because," he said, a smirk twitching at his lips, "no matter how much you tried to fight it, Potter, you fell for the Slytherin Prince."

My god, what an arrogant git.

*****

I looked up from my desk, alerted by the hesitant knock at the door.

Ron hovered nervously at the threshold.

"Etta," he said quietly, "can I have a word?"

"Of course," I said, eyeing him warily as I gestured to the chair in front of me, "please, sit."

He hastily crossed the room, taking the seat in front of my desk, "Look, about the other night-"

"I love you, Ron," I cut in, holding up a hand, "I really do, and nothing is ever going to change that. But you need to accept my relationship with Draco. We are - whether you like it or not - together, and we love each other."

"I know."

"You fucking better."

Ron fidgeted into his seat. "It's because I care about you. For years I witnessed that bloody git mercilessly bully and goad you - as well as myself and Hermione. And then... and then I find out that he did what he did which resulted in you being left heartbroken and bringing up a child on your own. I was there, remember? I was there when he wasn't, and I saw the pain in your eyes every time you looked at Albus. Maybe you've forgiven him, but he's going to have to do a fucking lot to prove to me that he won't ever hurt you again. I'm not saying that I'm ready to sit down with him and share a beer, but I do promise that from now on I will try to tolerate him. For you."

Sighing, I looked at my dearest, yet most infuriating friend. I could see in his eyes that he meant it. I could also see how difficult this all was for him. I reached across the desk and took his hands in mine. The look of relief spreading across his features made my heart swell.

"Thank you." I whispered, squeezing his hands as we exchanged small smiles.

"How do you think Albus and Scorpius are going to take it?" he asked quietly. "Presuming that is, you are going to tell them soon."

I sighed heavily. "To be honest, Ron, I have no idea. And I don't think I've ever dreaded anything quite so much in my life."

"I've got to warn you," Ron said darkly, "it's not going to be an easy ride. I'm not saying this to be unkind," he added quickly upon seeing my face fall, "I'm saying this so that you can be prepared for the worst. They have been lied to for years - Scorpius, his whole life. If it was me, if I found out that Dad ever did something like that to Mum, then I can honestly say I don't think I'd ever be able to look at him again, let alone forgive him."