35 - A Weasley Meal

My eyelids fluttered open, and I felt momentarily confused.

I was in my bedroom, but something was different. I looked down to see an arm draped lazily over my middle.

And then it all came flooding back. The nightmare. Draco.

"Morning, Potter." The soft drawling tones of his morning voice causing me to shiver in delight.

I wriggled my body around so that I was facing him, my stomach immediately somersaulting at the sight of his piercing grey eyes.

"You stayed," I breathed, failing to hide the smile that tugged at my lips.

Draco chuckled softly, his breath tickling my face.

"You asked me to, Potter," he said, his voice husky with sleep, "you said stay, so I stayed."

My breath caught in my throat as I stared at him in wonderment. I wanted to say thank you, but I found I was momentarily unable to speak. So, instead, I brought my hand up and delicately touched my fingertips to his cheek. His eyes seemed to dance with relish at my gesture, and his arm tightened around me, holding my body hard against him.

"I didn't realise you still had nightmares about that night," he murmured, his brow creasing as his eyes searched mine.

"I don't normally, not for a long while, at least." I sighed, finding my voice again, wanting to share what was really worrying me, "but my scar - last night - my scar hurt again."

"Is this not normal when you've had a bad dream about him?"

I shook my head fearfully, "No, I've never felt even the slightest twinge since Voldemort. Last night, the pain in my scar wasn't just a dream - it was still hurting when you woke me."

"Voldemort is dead, Etta," he hissed sharply. "Voldemort is gone."

"But what if some part, some trace of..." I trailed off, not being able to finish my sentence.

"Listen to me, Etta, it was just a bad dream that's all, a bad, vivid dream. He's not back, I would- I would know, wouldn't I?" I felt his left arm flex slightly. The Dark Mark.

My fear slightly alleviating, I breathed, feeling my body relax against his.

But it wasn't long before I grew rigid again, a different fear clasping at my chest. "Draco, the boys," I whispered furtively. "We can't let them find you in here."

"I'd better go back to my room," he murmured huskily, his eyes looking somewhat mournfully back into mine. But, instead of letting me go, he tilted his head up and pressed his lips firmly against the lightning bolt shaped scar across my forehead.

When he pulled back, he looked intensely into my eyes. "I'm here for you - whenever you need me. You do know that, don't you, Etta?"

My heart fluttered and I nodded, my lips tugging into a faint smile.

And, as I watched him climb out of the bed and sneak quietly out of my room, I couldn't help but reflect that it had not been a bad Christmas after all.

*****

Stumbling tiredly downstairs, I entered the kitchen to Albus and Scorpius lazily eating breakfast at the table.

I put the kettle on desperately needing my morning coffee. Despite Draco's reassurances, my nightmare had left me feeling extremely twitchy.

"What time are we off to Granny and Grampy's?" Albus asked, chewing on a piece of toast.

"When we're ready," I answered impatiently, wishing the kettle would just hurry the fuck up.

"I like Rose," Scorpius said wistfully to no one in particular, "pity she doesn't like me much."