Part 38

As I went into my room I see a hooded figure come from the bathroom, dressed in black from head to toe. They were unidentifiable, yet felt familiar somehow.
Their hands were dripping red and a knife was stabbed into the wall.

"Isabelle." The voice sounded robotic, moving closer towards me.
I tried to back up but found the door was now blocking me, having me pushing up against it to escape.
I tried to yell stop, but my words didn't come out. The figure continued towards me, gripping the knife and tearing it out of its hole, a deafening scrap across the wall as he pointed it towards me.

"Go to hell." The figure plunged the knife forward and into me.

I screamed, sitting up quickly in the bed, sweat trickling from my forehead. I scanned my surrounds, the unfamiliar room.

And then I looked across the room to see a figure sit up from the couch. It was the prince.

He'd let me sleep in his bed while he was over on the couch. I run a hand over my tired eyes, not even remembering falling asleep. How did I even get in here?

"You alright?" Prince Thomas asks, his voice croaky. My eyes flick to the clock sitting on the desk beside the bed that reads 3:21 am.

I nod, "Yeah, I'm sorry, bad dream." I lay back down as he stands up from where he was sleeping and walks over to check on me.

"It's ok." Thomas whispers, his soft voice the only sound in the silent room, "No one can hurt you in here."

I nod, looking back to the couch where he slept. While it was comfortable, it was still small.

"You should have left me on the couch. I don't want to ruin your sleep."

"I wasn't getting much anyways." Prince Thomas says and I feel bad, like my problems have burdened him.

He sits on the edge of the bed at my side.

"If it's causing you distress, I have sleeping medication I take sometimes if you want some."

I shake my head, "I should be fine. Thanks though. Go back to sleep."

He gives me a sharp nod, clearly too exhausted to persist, and returns to the couch. I watch as he lies down, pulling a blanket over himself before turning off the lamp again.

I lie back on the pillow and try to sleep, but it feels like I don't get any.

✿✿✿

When I wake up again it's around 7 am and Prince Thomas is no where in sight. The couch has the same blanket and pillow on it, shuffled from where he had slept.
I hauled my body from the sheets and found I was still in yesterday's clothes. I didn't want to risk venturing down to my room so I decided it would have to do.

But as I was on my way to the door I noticed something sitting on the desk.
It wasn't his artworks that had been there previously, they had been tidied away.

It was a small note, a mug of steaming coffee and a pile of clothes. I unfolded the small slip of lined paper and read;
Morning Bells, had to work early. I thought you might want something fresh to wear.
- Tom

I sifted through the clothing pile to see a pale grey top and a long, silk skirt with different shades of blue swirling around and mixing together.
I noticed the skirt matched the patterns of the silks woven into the braid in my hair, that was now a bit ruffled up.

Quickly changing, I put on the new outfit and was surprised it fit nicely.
A pair of nude sandals sat by the door and I put them on, slipping my bare feet into them eagerly.

I took the light pink mug from the desk and brought it to my lips, tasting the warmth of the coffee hitting my lips.
I smile to myself at Thomas's little note, seeing he is still being totally cool after earlier this morning.

Leaving the prince's room after collecting my clothing from yesterday, I am greeted by guards who give me cautious looks, curiously wondering what I had been doing in there.
I shyly smile and quickly pass to get to the elevator.
I hit the button for the first floor, hoping to find one of my friends who might be up and about at this time.

"Hold the elevator."

I hear the voice and quickly push the button to open the doors that were already closing and King William quickly shuffles in beside me.

"Thank you miss." He says and gives me a grateful smile as he turns to face me, "It's Isabelle isn't it?"

King William stands tall, towering over me with his green eyes that look the same as his sons. He is wearing a slick grey suit, pressed to perfection and polished black shoes.

I nod, "Yes your majesty." I give a quick curtsey, remembering I'm in the presence of royalty and knowing the people teaching us etiquette would be grateful.

"Ah, I heard about what happened to you. Have you recovered alright?" The king asked, looking to me with a smile.

"I believe so. Thank you."

"I think perhaps we should allocate you to a different room on the floor, at least while things are still being sorted out. We take the matter quite seriously and wouldn't want to risk you facing any more harm"

"I appreciate it, thank you. A new room would be nice."

"Good." He says as the elevator door opens, "Enjoy the rest of your day Miss Isabelle."

"You too your majesty." I say with a curtsey before he walks away down the hall.