Chapter 37

Namjoon pressed his head against the wall, staring at the metal bars separating him from his freedom. He chuckled to himself. Never in his life had he thought he would end up in jail for crashing a wedding. His laughter grew louder, drowning out the sound of reality. The laughing was a coping mechanism for his broken heart right now. He knew it was a bad idea, but he had a lot of hopes that you would take his hand and run away with him. But that's a fantasy he didn't have the privilege to indulge in.

It's been a full day and the police said he could go soon. He didn't feel the rush to enter the real world because he knew he would hear about your wedding and see the pictures online. He thought about provoking the policeman so that he could stay longer. However, an heir in jail would not look good for branding and his father would surely get worried so he decided to leave when his time was up.

Once outside, he was greeted with the sun and a cloudless sky. The snow had stopped, and he was trying to look for a rainbow at the end of the storm. His chest rose when he found you at the gate. He blinked and rubbed his eyes, fully convinced that the lack of sleep had made him hallucinate his wildest dream. When you remained in his vision, he began running. He stopped once he has arrived within a few feet from you, just enough for him to see that it was you. The same fragile and vulnerable eyes that he made sad so many times before. The same lips that he missed and sometimes when he dreams, he can still taste them. The same hands that he used to hold, the perfect shape for his. Looking closer, he noticed something was missing.

"I didn't marry him," you whispered.

"Why not?" he asked, the hope plant sprouting inside of him.

"I don't know why but when it was time to say 'I do', I couldn't do it. All I could think about was how I wish it was you and not him." you answered. Seeing him now, you didn't know why you stopped in the first place. He was undeniably everything you wanted because you didn't know you could want something so much until he came along.

Namjoon bit back his grin. "I wished that it was me too," he chuckled. But he cleared his throat when he saw you frowning at him.

"After you were dragged out, everything was a mess. The boys were on edge, they wanted to run after you. And then I couldn't finish my vow because I imagined your face and there was nothing I could do to get rid of it. Jooheon told me that it was okay and made a statement to everyone he didn't want this marriage and the ceremony stopped. Before the commotions could begin, my parents took me home to avoid any conflict, but I'm sure I will have to talk to his family soon to explain everything and to tell them I'm sorry."

"Well then I guess I should go with you, because this is my fault as well." he commented.

"It is your fault!" you yelled. "Everything is your fault," you began to weep as you hit his chest. Namjoon stood still, taking in all the punches because he was too happy and grateful for this moment to stop you. "You should have been clearer about your feelings. You should have talked to me yourself instead of hiding. You should have just dragged me out of the room."

"Yes, yes, I should have," he consoled quietly. "I should have told you the truth and worked hard for your forgiveness like a man. I don't deserve you at all but thank you for not going through with the marriage."

"You really don't deserve me at all," you sniffled. "You should be locked up in jail for being such a jerk and hurting me like this. But I hate that I don't want anyone else but you. I hate that after all of this, my heart still wants you to be the person to break it. I must be a fool." Your arms grew tired of hitting him, so they laid rested on his chest, gripping his shirt like a desperate cry. Namjoon's arms went up to wrap around you, pulling your head to his chest and cradling you like a child. He was living the fantasy he thought was no longer his. You were back in his arms. "I really wanted to hate you," you cried.

"I know," he hummed. "I wished you would hate me but I'm also really glad that you don't. I know I messed up, but please believe that I love you, so much, with all of me. And I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. I blamed you for making me go through this wedding when in fact, I was also running away because it was terrifying how much I love you. To this day, it still doesn't feel real."

He cupped your cheeks and wiped the tears away. "Y/N, this is real. I'm in front of you now and I am seeing you. I love you. I won't run away anymore, and I will become your shield."

"I don't need a shield," you interjected.

He chuckled. "You're right, you don't need a shield. You are strong, cunning, brave, everything that I am not. I'm sorry I didn't realize that before. I thought I was being selfless by ending things, but I was just selfish. I was ready to give up everything for you, even if that meant hating myself in the process. I was okay with it as long as you're safe. I just wanted to protect you." He heard silence. As he looked the other way to hide his flushed face, you pulled on his collar and used his body to push yourself up.

His breath stopped, the taste of your lips was so familiar to him. He allowed himself to close his eyes to savor the moment. It felt right, he finally felt right and your heart finally felt complete. The stars lit themselves up, illuminating the galaxy that was never forgotten.

"Then stay."

"Forever."