Chapter 27

The combination of the sharp pain in your rib, the pounding in your head, and the urge to see him made you wake up. The sky was dimly lit but the soft orange glow outside and blankets of fresh snow covered the window. The world had moved on without you. Your mother was the first to see your eyes opened and she immediately jumped up from her seat. Your father, who had been peeling an apple for her, jumped and dropped his knife.

"Sweetie, you're awake!" she exclaimed. She held back her instinct to hug you as you were still bandaged up almost like a mummy. After your father took his turn to air hug you, the two of them explained what had happened. You were out shopping for presents when she spotted you and instead of hitting the brakes as she should at the stoplight, she "mistakenly" slammed her foot down on the gas pedal instead. The police didn't believe a word of her statement and judging from previous incidences, no amount of convincing of her lawyers will get her out of trouble. And unfortunately for her parents, their political race came to an end due to their daughter's jealousy.

It shouldn't come to you as a surprise that bored and young rich girls would resort to such a devious act. But it did dismay you that your life was a toy for them to play God with. If Soo Ji had gathered up enough anger in her, you would have died on the spot and while you supposedly had no fear, being dead meant being away from the people you love, and that did scare you. Speaking of which, you glanced around the room. Only your parents were there and a fruit basket on the table, nothing else. You felt a slight tug in your heart.

Your parents noticed the disappointment on your face. Namjoon had stopped showing up after the first week and he the last thing he told them was that he's sorry. They assumed that it was because he's busy and wouldn't have time to come see you. "I'm sure his father sent him on another business trip," your mother commented. "He was here everyday the first week you were unconscious." You nodded, feeling silly and selfish that you had assumed the worst of him. Namjoon loves you and that wouldn't change.

It wouldn't change, you repeated to yourself when you were discharged but he didn't show up. You repeated it when he didn't answer your text messages or calls. Since it was winter break, there was no school so there was no excuse for you to see him. You were on the verge of screaming when you received a text, it was from Namjoon, telling you to come to the music room. It was still early afternoon, you took a cab to school. Excitement tingled all over your fingertips. You desperately wanted to see him and to have him hold you.

But that didn't happen.

Nothing even close to that happened.

When you entered the music room, it felt like you had entered a lair. The main chandelier was dimmed, casting a golden hue over the silhouette gathered around the couches. Namjoon sat in the center, crossed legs and unmoving. You had imagined the reunion with him, how he would rush over and pick you up which spinning in a circle out of happiness. And he would kiss you to remind you how his heart belongs only to you.

But that didn't happen.

Nothing happened.

The boys of the music room sat in the shadows, mysterious and alluring as the myths had painted them to be. Their faces were statues, you couldn't tell if they were breathing or not. You swallowed back the anxious feeling. "What's going on here?" you asked. You at least hoped they would be happy to see you.

"Ah, you came," Namjoon said. "I can't believe you really came here without asking any questions." He laughed bitterly, "You're really just like an obedient puppy."

This was his voice, you had to double-check. You have heard him spoken such words before, cruel and unforgiving, but you didn't think it would ever be directed at you. "I came because you told me to, and I trust you." you answered.

"Trust?" he scoffed. "Since when have you gotten so naive, prez?"

"Why are you being like this?" you questioned. Your heart was breaking with every word he said and you prayed that this was just some twisted joke.

"What do you mean?" he returned. "This is how I've always been. This is who I am, you just deluded yourself into thinking you can fix me. But I won't ever change. What is it that you said I had? A complex?"

"Thinking that the world owes you something." you finished. Your throat was already in a knot. You couldn't see his eyes clearly, but you imagined they were sharp and lifeless. Just like before.

"That's right," he clapped. "And I'll tell you something else. You have a hero complex, thinking you can fix everything because of that smart mouth of yours. I've seen the way you tried to help the boys by giving them advice. I'm sorry to say the game is a lot tougher than you think and wishful thinking won't get you through it."

You exhaled, while you didn't think you can fix all of the boys' problems, but you did believed what you said gave them a little hope. They all laughed at Namjoon's statement, further proving that you never really did anything but annoy them. You shook your head, no, they had been so nice and supportive. Maybe you really didn't know them at all. "Namjoon, don't be mean. I don't know what I did but whatever it is, I'm sorry."

His face twitched a little, but he masked it well with a bored gaze. "You didn't do anything. In fact, I have another confession to tell." The boys tensed up, all of them looked away, unable to look at you any further.

"What is it?"

Namjoon braced himself, pinching his legs to keep himself from crying. "None of this is real. What I feel for you is all a lie and so is our whole relationship." Your heart stopped. The ringing in your ear grew. A single tear trailed down your cheek.

"W-what?"

"This was just a game for us, and thanks to your stupidity, I won." Namjoon declared proudly. Taehyung, who sat beside him, handed him his prize, the key to his Bugatti. That was a bullet to your heart.

"This....our relationship was just a game? Everything you said was a lie? All the time you told me you love me? That you want a future with me?"

He nodded, "Yes, I never meant anything of the things I said. Do you understand now?"

"Precisely," you mumbled. Your chest was hurting, you didn't know if that was your ribs or your heart shattering. "I should have seen this coming, right?" you chuckled silently. "But there's a much bitter truth than this."

"And what's that?"

"That I love you." As you ran out of the room, Namjoon fell to the ground, sobbing endlessly. He thought he could be strong, he thought he could go back to being indifferent like before. But three words from you was all it took to make him hate himself even more.