Chapter 13

Jungkook began his morning stretches. The usual push-ups, jumping jacks, burpees, to get his stamina ready for the hike today. Everything about that made sense, except for the fact that he was shirtless and next to the beach instead of in his room, or the gym at the resort. But no one was complaining. All the balconies were filled with girls enjoying the show.

"Y/N, please go tell Jungkook to get ready," one of the instructors said. Before you could protest, the instructor had already left to prepare for the hikes. The hundreds of students were split into small groups of twenty-something people that will self-lead themselves around the mountain areas. Dangerous it might seem, but the area is riddled with cameras and the staff had already walked those paths to make sure that there were no potential hazards. And as luck would have it, Jungkook was in your group, along with some of his fans. It would be a long day.

By the time you got to him, Jungkook's shirt was already back on his body and he was in the middle of putting on his socks. "Are those little bunnies on your socks?" you asked. Jungkook jumped and turned around, making you laugh.

"Don't tell anyone." he whispered.

"You think too highly of me, I have no friends." you remarked. "But why don't you want anyone to know?"

Jungkook sighed, "You know my family. We're known to be strict and manly, and those are expected of me. I don't think having little bunnies on my sock is manly."

"I think you're wrong," you stated. He furrowed his eyebrows, "Being manly isn't about embracing gender norms, it's about being confident enough about your masculinity that wearing what makes you feel good is all that matters."

He hummed a response, "I guess that's a good way to think about it, thanks noona."

"Now go clean yourself up. We'll be heading out soon." The maknae obeyed the command and once he headed for the lobby, he internally rolled his eyes at some of the outfit choices of his fellow students. While he wore tennis shoes and regular pants, other boys wore thick blazers with tight leather jeans, not giving them enough circulation for the blood to flow to their brains. The girls were much worse, wearing sandals and short skirts. He was definitely glad that his hyungs abided by his advice and wore something comfortable. And he was also grateful that he was in your group, at least he'll have someone to talk to. In his mind, he could already hear his Namjoon hyung warning him not to get too close or touchy with you.

Scanning through the names on your list, you frowned at the new addition. Soo Ji was added to your group because apparently she got into a fight with a few girls from her last one. It was typical but you wondered why she chose this group and not the one with Namjoon. "Y/N," an instructor called before your group set off. "There is a small ditch off to the side of the trail, it's nothing too dangerous but we don't want anything to happen to anyone. So make sure to be careful, alright?"

"Yes, sir." you replied. Soo Ji hid her sly smile as you did roll call. And the groups departed. Jungkook, being a natural leader, positioned himself in front of the group. No one was going to fight him considering no one could catch up to you. With every step, a girl would complain about how her feet were hurting and begged Jungkook to carry her. He rolled his eyes and trekked on. To your surprise, Soo Ji was especially quiet and she was at least wearing proper shoes. Maybe she was starting to change, you shrugged.

As the group went deeper into the mountains, the terrain grew rougher and more narrow. The girls eventually took off their shoes, beauty was not worth them dying right now. Soo Ji made a mental note of the ditch the instructor was talking about, it was perfect. Once you reached a wide clearing, you told the group to take a short break to hydrate themselves.

"How are you feeling?" Jungkook asked, slouching down next to you.

"This is nothing," you answered. "Playing soccer with the boys at my dad's hospital is more exhausting."

"I bet, Namjoon hyung told me about them. I think I can beat them."

"Oh really?"

"I'm strong,"

"Yes, indeed. Just please don't kill any of them." you chuckled. Soo Ji stood up, it was time for her plan.

"Hey, Y/N, do you think you can help me with something really quick?"

Both you and Jungkook looked at her warily. "What is it?"

"Follow me this way." she gestured. Hesitantly, you got up and followed her off-trail. The chatters of your group slowly faded away.

"Soo Ji, where are we going?" you asked sharply.

"Don't worry, we're almost there." she answered. Soo Ji hadn't thought fully about her plan yet. All she knew was that she wanted to get rid of you, temporarily, or maybe forever. Smokes clouded her eyes and judgment. You soon reached what looked to be the ditch the instructor was talking about. Leaves covered the opening, and unsuspecting hikers would surely have fallen. "I dropped an earring somewhere here. Could you help me find it?"

"How could you have possibly done that?"

"Um, t-the wind blew it to this spot," she stuttered. "Please, it's really important to me. I feel embarrassed to ask anyone else to help me."

It was a terrible idea, every cell in your body told you that. But being a sucker for important and invaluable objects, you agreed. The two of you crouched down and began searching. "I don't see anything," you called out.

"Maybe go near the edge a little," Soo Ji suggested, her heart began racing. Not thinking much, you complied.

You stood up, dusting off your pants, "Maybe we can ask someone to go look for it tomorrow-" As you turned around, a great force pushed you back. And then you fell back, down into the ditch, clinging on to only thin air. The corner of Soo Ji's mouth twitched, the adrenaline burning inside of her.

When you hit the ground, you continued to roll down, head-on encounters with dead tree branches. They prick at your skin, trails of blood pouring out. But that pain was nothing in comparison to hitting your head against the tall tree, which also stopped your momentum. Your body was in complete pain and your vision was growing dark. When Soo Ji was sure that you had passed out, she headed back to the group.

"Let's go everyone, break time is over." she declared.

"Where is Y/N?" Jungkook asked, not seeing your figure anywhere.

"Oh, she's helping the group in the back but she said we should go without her." Soo Ji answered without blinking.

"Really?" he questioned. "You guys go ahead, I'll wait for her." Soo Ji didn't like that answer, she grabbed ahold of his arms and dragged him.

"Don't worry too much about her," she cooed. "She's strong and can handle herself. We need you to lead us back to the resort."

Jungkook was still uncertain, but he had to agree that you can handle yourself. So he let Soo Ji continue to cling on to him. The wind blew, leaves covered your body as night fell.