"Jake called me this afternoon and left a message with my dad." Penny flicks me on the knee then points at the field, "Speaking of, I think someone is trying to get your attention." I look out to the mound, Jake is waving. I smile, waving back, before returning to my conversation.

"Seems like an awful lot of planning for a 'hang at the lake' night," I observe. I'm still piecing this all together. "If you ask me, this seems like a lot of work just for Allison to have some quality one-on-one time with Jake."

Just then, Oli approached from under the bleachers. He hands up a ton of Marino's Italian Ices, then hoists himself up and through the slats, "We got extra Italian ice, you guys want?"

He hands a watermelon to Shiv and a cherry to Penny.

"Got a lemon?" My favorite. He juggles them a bit — to free up the lemon. "Thanks!" Then he points with his elbow towards his back pocket, which is bursting with wooden spoons. I reach in and grabbed three. "Got em. Thanks, Oliver."

"No prob." He bounces off towards Noelle and the sophomores.

"He really just keeps getting cuter. I can't stand it." Penny, shaking her head in disbelief.

I know, right?

"I think he's gotten taller too," Shiv considers, not so subtly checking him out. "He's so thoughtful. Can we adopt him?" As she gives her wooden spoon a tongue bath, pondering.

That would be something.

I am watching Oli walk away, when I see Rucci sitting over with the sophomores. He sees me too. We wave.

"Who are you waving at?" Penny spins around.

"Oh, just Rucci." They both turn to verify. Then look back at me, glad things are starting to return to normal.

***

When the lights flicker out, most people disperse. Shiv leaves with Rucci, Nora and her crew. Penny is negotiating a Bick's run with Tony and Archer. Allison and the A-Team are lurking, waiting for an invite.

"I'm going to go home, I've got to work early tomorrow," I declare. Penny and Tony salute in unison.

"Okay, bye. I think we're going to go to Bick's," Allison proudly announces.

Cool. I wasn't really asking, but ok.

I look over at Jake, "You gonna come with? Or you going to Bick's?"

"Oh, don't worry, I can take him home," she chirps.

Jake stands up, "I'll walk you to your car."

Resting his hand on the small of my back he guides me through the dark. Another touch that has lost its magic. He senses me pulling away, where I used to lean in. When we reach my car, he pulls open the door for me, "Why did you come tonight if you weren't going to talk to me?"

"What are you talking about, Jake? You were playing frisbee all night. Did you want me to storm the field and make a scene?"

It was a little sassy. But not even close to the depths of what I was holding back.

Unexpectedly, Jake retorts, "Well, you didn't have to interrupt the game, but maybe you could have saved the flirting for another night?"

"Flirting? I was with Shiv and Penny most of the night."

"Well, you might not have been watching me, but I was watching you. Sticking your hands into that cross-country kid's back pocket. Yeah, I saw you."

"You crazy asshole. Again. That's Oliver. Tate. He had extra Italian Ice." Right! I watch as the dots connect. It dawns on him that perhaps he is being a jealous boyfriend. Again. "I was grabbing a spoon."

"It's not like he'd be the first freshman you went after, Mrs. Robinson." Low blow. "Maybe that's our problem."

Thin ice pal. Very thin ice. "Wow, I really thought we were past this Rucci business. But if you are threatened by a little sophomore, that's for you to work out." I step one foot into the car. This is not the normal I hoped we were returning to.

"I saw you two in the kitchen the other night."

And I saw you and Allison. You crazy, jealous bastard. Nothing has changed.

"You are seriously conflicted. The kitchen the other day was me offering him a ride home so Shiv didn't have to schlep all over town. All this sounds an awful lot like you deflecting your own guilt."

"What the fuck do I have to be guilty about?"

"You tell me," I snap back. "You spent the entire day with your alternative girlfriend." I pause. "Oh right, you thought I didn't know. You thought I really bought that you just needed a ride to see me at work? Well, it's a good thing she offered to drive you home, because if it were up to me right now, you'd be walking."

I sink into the car and yank the door free from his hand. Slam it shut. Make sure to lock it. Wasting no time, I tear out of that parking lot so fast. Defeated, he bangs his fists on the trunk as I drive away. Serves him right.

Who does he think he is? Accusing me of flirting with Oliver and Rucci when all day he's been hanging out with Allison.

Fucking asshole.