December***Part 1

"Rucci and I have rehearsal today... without Raye," Penny announces in the middle of lunch. Archer, Penny and I are sitting out on the stoop in the courtyard this unseasonably warm day. Only the upper classmen are allowed outside, a Rucci-free zone.

"What? Why?"

"The kissing scene has been so awkward. She wants us to work on making it more natural, without adding any additional pressure for Rucci. So while you guys are rehearsing the dance scene in the café, we'll be making out in the theater."

"So that's why we're rehearsing in the café. Wow, sounds like Rucci's dream come true!"

"Yeah, exactly. That's the problem. He's really excited," she laments. "Can you come up with a reason to interrupt us? I'm not interested in being his practice dummy."

Penny really has been dreading this scene. After a frustrated pause, "Hey, what if we switched? You make out with Rucci. I'll make out with Tony."

"Yeah, that would be less awkward. NOT!"

She nods. "That was some scene the other day." I've been expecting her to bring this up.

"I know, I know. I couldn't help myself. I was only kidding, but I know better. I feel like an ass."

"As long as you realize it." Ouch, Pen.

"Just tell him you are getting a ride home with me. I'll be done with track early today, light workout, 'cause we have a meet tomorrow."

"Perfect!"

It's kinda weird that they'll be kissing all afternoon. I mean, I'm not worried about it. Penny and Tony are... well, whatever they are. No chance Penny falls for Rucci.

***

It's ringing.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mrs. Rucci, is Mike home?"

"Yes, honey, hold on. Miiiiiiiiike. Phooooooone."

"Hello." Click. Mrs. Rucci always hangs up right away. Does he appreciate how great that is?

"Hi." I can hear him fiddling with papers on his desk. "Hello?" Silence. Seriously? "Rucci, I'm sorry about the Luke Cassidy crack. It was just a joke. I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"Okay."

"Okay? Are we cool?" Nothing. Silence. Am I missing something? "You know, if you've got something to say to me. Just say it."

He is silent on the other end. But I can hear him breathing.

"Alrighty. Well, you let me know when you are ready to talk. And I really am sorry."

I hang up. This can't just be about Luke.

***

Dear Jesse —

My phone call with Rucci was so strange. I thought he was acting weird before. I was wrong.

Thank heaven Dad finally caved and got me a party line. Tonight was the exact reason we needed one! Penny and Shiv think he likes me and that's why this Luke business hit a nerve.

I don't know what I think. Other than I need to sew my mouth shut.

Of course, now we're deep into Fest rehearsals and he has to kiss Penny on stage. Every. Damn. Day.

He's never kissed anyone before and he says he's nervous but secretly I think he's psyched to get that monkey off his back.