July***Part 2

"Mom, can I go over to Jake's and walk to the fireworks with everyone?" I'm shucking corn at the backyard table, while she's setting up for dinner.

"You heard the doctor, Sam. You aren't 100% yet." This time she totally catches me rolling my eyes, "If you have a relapse, you'll never see Jake again." Game. Set. Match. Mom.

"I've been trapped in this house for almost a month, it's one night. One night." I'm not certain why I felt the emphasis was necessary, especially since I know that'll set her off, but I went for it anyways.

"Who else is going?" Okay, she's laying a trap here, be careful how you answer. "Penny, Shiv and maybe Shannon."

Last ear of corn done. At least I can focus on picking all the silk off of me, instead of looking her in the eye.

"Mmmm-hmmm." She's not buying this for a second. Oooh and she's going for the dramatic pause here.

So much corn silk, I'll never get it all off. I'm going to have to change my clothes.

Even though I'm not looking at her, I can feel her shake her head, "Fine. But you aren't driving. You need to get someone else to drive you."

What did she just say? Did she let me out of the house? I jump up, "Thank you!" I kiss her on the cheek and fly inside the door. Gotta find me a ride before she changes her mind.

***

Shiv pulls up in the Wagoneer at 7 on the dot. Rucci sitting in the passenger seat. Shit, what's he doing here? I let the blinds drop, snag my sweater out of the closet and race down the hall.

"Sam, you didn't say anything about Rucci?" Mom sees him too. It wasn't so much a question as it was an accusation.

"I didn't know she was picking him up. She didn't say anything." I didn't. Really. I haven't seen him since school ended. He wished me "luck with Jake." Full Joey Tribiani air quotes. I mean, whatever, there will be other people when we get there.

But he better not think he's keeping shotgun.

My mom's hanging out the front door, reminding Shiv, in no uncertain terms, that I must be home by 11, not a minute late. A full two hours before my normal curfew.

As I approach the car, the front passenger door squeals open. Rucci pauses a second before un-clicking the belt and getting out, "Hey." That's right, my seat. Just 'cause I've been gone doesn't mean I gave up my seat forever. "Hey, thanks." I nodded towards the seat. He shrugs.

I guess not much has changed. So, tonight will be fun. And, then just as I turned to get in, his go-go-Gadget arms are wrapped around me. "I'm glad you are feeling better."

"Get in already you two." Shiv barks from the driver's seat. "Times a wastin'. Tick tock."

Apparently Shiv has been making good use of her abundant spare time without me. All the way across town we blast her new mix tape — The Monkees, David Cassidy, The Brady Bunch, and of course, The Rembrandts.

Such dorks. It is just like old times. We sing at the top of our lungs, with the windows down. And laugh til we cry.

We are the last ones to arrive, forced to park down the street from Penny's house and walk back up the hill.

Jake looks like a kid on Christmas as he sprints across the lawn to greet us, "There's my girl." He sweeps me under his arm, and bends down to kiss me hello. Man, I've missed that. "Shiv." They exchange head nods. "Rucci. Welcome." Rucci gives him a high five.

Seems like all everyone needed to get along was for me to go away.

Before I know it, I am separated from Jake and smothered in hugs and "So glad you are feeling better" and "We missed you." I'm not saying it's not nice to be missed, but I'm pretty sure my phone isn't broken.

I know they've loved having Jake all to themselves for the last few weeks. I catch Penny's eye across the yard. And shake my head. She's reading my mind. Sorry ladies, the bitch is back.

***

Dear Jesse —

It figures. I finally get some freedom back, and we're going on a family trip to look at colleges in California and Nevada.

Five more days without Jake. Longest trip ever.

I'm really excited to see USF and UCLA and even more excited about UNLV. I can't wait to get out of here next fall. But Jake and I have already lost so much time this summer with my stupid mono. I don't want to be gone. I don't even want to think about him leaving for Boston Bay.

Stupid mono that he didn't get. Stupid good immune system.

Xo
Sammy