Guards

Murry  very late Crightmoss UwU.

Die.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Please tell me you know where you're going this time," Cross groaned, purposely dragging a leg behind him, just to make it look more dramatic. "I don't fancy a repeat of yesterday."

"Do not worry your majesty, I understand you're a bit too retarded to see, but bodies of water like this lovely river we're following, lead to civilizations. Maybe if you stop whining like some spoiled VSCO, your royal brain would be able to think of that. Assuming you had one, of course," Nightmare shot back mockingly, imitating a painfully obvious fake formal and respectful tone. 

The oreo, now walking alongside his partner instead of being dragged across the jagged floor, muttered a soft, "Oh."

He blinked. Tilting his head to the side and scrunching up his 'nose' in confusion, he looked up at the octopus and asked, "Wait, what's a 'VSCO'?" questioningly.

"I dunno. Something this Western guy was ranting about," Nightmare shrugged, glancing around almost uneasily.

Running out of things to say, the smol decided to stare at the the tall weeds decorating the edge of the stream, brushing just by their hips, over his dark companion, both of them pretending not to mind the awkward silence lapsing over the duo. To both of their reliefs, they had finally escaped the dead forest about half an hour ago, stumbling into the little river, with actual life adorning it. Nightmare had suggested following the thin waterway, the smaller having no choice but to trail after him. The change in the mood of their surroundings had been considerably refreshing, and for once, the octopus welcomed the brighter scenery.

They trekked like that for a bit, and just as the taller was starting to get used to the quiet, Cross decided it was a good time to shatter it. 

"Hey Nightmare, do you think th-" 

"SHHHHHH!" The older shushed him, abruptly stopping dead in his tracks, and causing the oreo to bump into him lightly.

Pulling his face away from the black fabric of the other's hoodie, which was previously suffocating him, so that whatever he had to say wouldn't be muffled, he managed a, "What's theMRmpH-" before a cold, thick appendage wrapped itself tightly around his mouth, restricting him from making another sound.

"Do you not know what 'shhh' means?! Be quiet! Someone's here!" Nightmare hissed lowly, whispering and shouting at the same time while jabbing a tentacle harshly in the direction of the forest on the other side of the river. "And it's not a squirrel this time!"

The bean's heterochromia pupils widened, all his struggles and protests ceased. He clenched his skeletal fists until his 'nails' dug into his palms, surely leaving a mark, and resulting in a stinging pain. He shakily peered over at the direction the taller was indicating, drawing in a sharp breath at the sight of a few barely visible shadows of silhouettes huddled behind the greenery. There were about six figures perceivable through the murky shade, a mixture of humans and monsters.

"Looks like the palace noticed our escape faster than I thought they would. Those people are looking for us, and most likely, they have weapons. We've gotta go. Now," Nightmare growled softly, force put into his words.

A second tentacle reached out and curled around the smaller's waist, yanking him carelessly towards the thick patch of trees on their side of the stream, provoking a distressed yelp, his voice muted by the appendage around his mouth. Trampling the bits of fallen leaves and grass beneath them, they fled into the first of the trees, a birch with a semi-smooth bark, black wispy patterns drifting along randomly on the trunk.