forty-four

Skylar.

I woke up to quiet laughing.

"She asked me how many people had died on the table- and I had no fucking idea what to tell her." Sierra's voice spoke- and I was so confused as to who they were talking about.

"Seems like she was feeling good" Calum's voice spoke- making me immediately open my eyes- excited to see Cal.

"Well good morning sunshine" Ashton spoke/ everyone perking up at the sight of me looking at them, but I don't even remembering leaving the room in the first place.

"It's not morning" I pointed out, seeing that the sun was setting through the window

"It's morning for you." Jack smiled lightly

"You did it?" I asked Ashton- genuinely confused, because I don't remember anything- I don't even remember Ashton leaving me to go prep.

"Yes princess, it's all over, you slept good, didn't you?" Ashton smiled.

"I don't remember" I mumbled to them.

"How are you feeling?" Calum spoke, pulling my hair out of the tight ponytail, making me thank him.

"I- I'm just confused" I spoke to them, hearing everyone laugh lightly.

"So no pain?" Ashton asked me.

"No" I mumbled quietly.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Jack asked.

"You came in and sat in bed with me and told me you were giving me a relaxer" I told Ashton, seeing him smile.

"A little bit of medicine must go a far way on you."

Within minutes after Ashton checked where the bandage was, making sure everything was in order, Calum carefully climbed into bed with me, with his computer.

"Let's FaceTime your dad, he's dying to see your face."

Luke.

Before her surgery Jack and Ben had sent me dozens of videos of her under a relaxer- going through all the phases of emotions.

Then right before she was going in, Sierra sent me a video of her as a nurse pulled her hair into a clearly uncomfortable pony tail, but she was still talking- telling me that she loved me

I had threatened every person-besides Sierra- in that room that if they didn't FaceTime me and Michael as soon as she woke up, that I would beat their asses.

And luckily- it worked, because right around the time Michael and I bet on her waking her, we got a FaceTime from Calum.

We watched it connect, soon seeing Calum and her pop onto the screen, her head leaning on Calum's shoulder- the medicine clearly still in her body, her expression looking tired and weak.

"Hi beautiful" I spoke to her, seeing her dimples immediately appear as she gave me a small smile.

"Hi dad, hi Mikey" she spoke tiredly.

"How are you feeling?" Michael asked her.

"Like a million bucks" she spoke sarcastically, making Michael and I laugh as we heard laughter from her room too.

"I'm sorry that they wouldn't let us come home, babygirl" I spoke to her.

"Don't apologize, I know that it's not your fault." She told me quickly, not hesitating.

We all talked back and forth for a good hour before I noticed Skylar had stopped talking as much and was holding Calum's arm for her chest, looking towards where I knew the tv was in the room- tiredly focused on that.

I knew she was probably close to falling asleep.

"Well, I think Sky is getting sleepy" I mumbled, making her eyes tiredly flick to the screen.

"I'm awake" she spoke quietly.

"I think the only reason you're awake is because we are FaceTiming you" michael pointed out.

She opened her mouth the talk, but I interrupted her

"Get some more rest pretty girl, I'll call you in the morning once you all get home, I love you bunches" I told her, seeming her smile into Calum's arm.

"I love you too, Dad- I love you Mikey, sleep good" she spoke clearly to both of us.

"I love you sky" michael spoke.

"Thanks again Ash, thank you to all of you- you're all my life savers!" I spoke loud enough
To where the room could hear me, hearing a few "no problem at all"'s in return before Cal ended the call.

Michael and I looked to each other- sighing lightly.

"What I would do to be with them right now" I mumbled quietly.

"Dude, we can quit" michael mumbled, making me send him a 'are you crazy?' Look.

"You know our hospital isn't going to fire us for leaving over this- it's your fucking daughter and my basically niece, the chief would understand, if anything they just wouldn't pay us for this trip" He spoke facts.

"That's just a big pay cut and they'll most likely make us pay for all of our gas, rooms and such" I told him, kind of hoping he would just say a simply 'fuck it'.

"I've got the money to cover us both if you don't have it and I'm more than willing to take this risk, I'm desperate to go home." He spoke quickly.

"Let's fucking go."